cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied on All DFS Volumes

Dav_Banks
Level 3
I get access denied errors on all DFS volumes. The expanded error is :
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine {domain.name}. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

I've installed SP1 and HotFix31. I've added a folder called 'sis common store' to the backup folder and to the DFS root.

I've seen a bit of discussion on the topic but without a clear resolution. Is there one?
11 REPLIES 11

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/242024
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278397

Thanks!

Dav_Banks
Level 3
So I followed the recommendations in the articles and now the job fails with the following error...

Backup- {DFS Vol Server}
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine {DFS Vol Server}. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

You could follow the following steps:
- See if the Port 10000 is open on both side for Backing up
- Is Remote Agent running on Local System account?
- Under what account are the other Services running?

please get back to us with an Update!!

Thanks
Regards

Dav_Banks
Level 3
I have the beremote added tot he firewall.
The agent is running.
It's running under a backup account that has modify access to all folders.
The credential check comes back successful.

When I use User defined selection to choose the DFS shares (like domain\share) the backup fails.
When I use the shares from the DFS servers (like dfs_server\share) the job is successful but it doesn't back up anything.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

Thank You,

Shweta

Dav_Banks
Level 3
The backup server as well as the two dfs servers have port 10000 used by beremote.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

Thank You,

Shweta

Dav_Banks
Level 3
Are you thinking it's a name/IP resolution problem? Because the names resolve OK and the "remote server" is actually the media server. It's just that I'm using DFS to map the domain names to the actual share.

From the way the error reads, it looks like the media server is expecting the domain name part of the DFS share to be a host, which it's not, and therefore fails when it can't connect to the remote agent on the host.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Have you reinstalled the remote agent after installing the hotfix 31? could you please compare the file versions of the beremote.exe on both the machines?

Have you been selecting the DFS data from the shadow copy components? Please select the data from under the shadow copy components!

Hope it helps!

Dav_Banks
Level 3
Thanks for the info! I'm having some trouble making sense of this all...

1. Is the remote agent used? The backup server is the storage location that's being backed up. I'm trying to set it up to use DFS because I have multiple storage arrays and multiple servers and I didn't want to have to remember to change the job every time a folder changed locations - it happens more often than I like! But currently the files are on the backup server. It's just the DFS volumes themselves that are remote. I updated the beremote for the DFS servers.

2. Shadow copy components? I'm not currently using Shadow Copy on these volumes. I've seen references to "selecting the DFS data" before but I'm not sure what that means. I've tried selecting the folder which is the root share of the DFS folders without success. I've tried selecting the links under the DFS root folder without success. Both were done using User-defined Selections and the DFS Domain name - i.e., \\domain\share. Testing the credentials seemed to work but the actual backup always fails.

3. The error itself sounds like it's trying to attach to the domain name as if it were a host and failing.

Does anyone actually have this working? If so, I'd love to compare notes! As stated, I'm using the domain sharing instead of the standalone and User-defined Selections created from the \\{domain name}\{share name} path.

Thanks!!!

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

In previous thread,regarding the remote agent service you have said that "It's

running under a backup account".

Please note that this service should be always running under "local system account".

Regards,