cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied to email messages

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
Backup started skipping thousands of email messages (maybe all of them) one day all of a sudden. It says "access denied to file ...". The server is Win2000 running Exchange 2003.

What could be causing this?
8 REPLIES 8

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
1.Please check if any of the emails are corrupt or the attachments are too long.
2.Please stop the antivirus service scans during the backup else exclude the files being backed up from the scan.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
There are some corrupt email messages but I don't think they can cause access to 7000 other messages to be denied. I ran a test backup with one mailbox and the same thing happened;access was denied to all (?) of the messages. Backup has been running just like this for a while so the settings should be fine. There was a power outage one day and this started happening.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/206380

Also try stoopping antivirus service during teh backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
Thanks but when I go there, I get this message:

The file you have requested is no longer available from VERITAS Software Technical Support.

Antivirus should not be an issue since it's been running like this and the problem started showing up one day all of a sudden.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned that this error appeared all of a sudden.
Check if the account password has changed or the rights/priviledges granted to this haccount have been modified.

Also please verify the following.
1. Ensure that the backup job is being created while logged in as the Backup Exec service account.
2. Verify that the Backup Exec service account mailbox is not hidden.
3. Verify that the Backup Exec service account has Domain Admin and Local Administrative rights.
4. Verify that the Backup Exec service account has Exchange Full Admin rights.
5. Verify that mail can be sent to and from the Backup Exec service account mailbox.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Laszlo_Lorincz
Level 3
Hi,

have the same problem. This error appeared suddenly.
It has been worked for months previously without any problems. No change in service account and rights.
When I create a single backup job I can select even the messages from the mailbox (with the same logon account), but when the job starts there is the 'access denied' message.

Thanks
Leslie

Laszlo_Lorincz
Level 3
Hi,
it is working finally for me.
McAfee Groupshield was uninstalled (removed from registry and from disk) and installed again.
Leslie

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us regarding this issue.

Thanks,