cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access is Denied/Security error Exchange 2003 public folders

John_Smith_12
Level 2
I have BE 9.1 SP2 running on Win Svr 2003 SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP1. When I attempt to backup Exchange public folders, the job fails with:

(Server: "") (Job: "")
-- The job failed with the following error: Access is denied.

In the job log, it states:

Final error: 0xa0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

Under errors, numerous entries similiar to those below appear:

Backup - \\server name\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders
Access denied to file backupMr. Ed Smith.
Access denied to file backupDaniel Jones.
etc. etc. etc...
Access denied to file Public ContactsMr. EdSmith.
etc. etc. etc...

Under exceptions, numerous entries similiar to the one below appear:

Backup - \\server name\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders
The item \\server name\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders\backupŒ〰〰〰〰愱㐴㌷〹慡㘶ㄱ摣戹㡣〰慡〰昲㑣愵㤰〰㜴㈴攱㤳㜳㘷ㅤ㐴改㐷攳㠳㘵攵〳㔲〰〰〰〰攳㥡〰〰㜴㈴攱㤳㜳㘷ㅤ㐴改㐷攳㠳㘵攵〳㔲〰〰〰〰㕥搵〰〰Mr. Ed Smith in use - skipped.
etc. etc. etc...

I have 'Auto select open file technology' selected for 'Use Advanced Open File Option.'

Any advice would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please note that Advance Open File Option (AOFO) cannot be used to backup Exchange files. For this purpose Exchange Agent should be used.
Additionally please refer the following technotes.
Title:
Troubleshooting basic "access denied" and "access is denied" messages in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266075

Title:
"Logon Account " " failed to access "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailbox". Access Denied." is returned when attempting to select Microsoft Exchange mailboxes.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273168

Please revert with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked

assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Smith_12
Level 2
I am using the Exchange Agent. I tried the Advanced Open File Option because the job started failing with this error. The job worked for a few months without any errors. For some reason, this error started appearing a couple of days before I posted the issue in the forum.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

To resolevt the error for acces denied please check the foll

1. The account you are using to backup exchange should have an active mailbox.
2. The name should have the first five charecters unique. No other account or user in the AD should have the same first five charecters.
3. The user should be visible in the GAL.
4. Create a logon account with the same name and pwd in backup exec mark it as the one by default and also as common
5. Ensure that you use this account during the exchange backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

To resolevt the error for acces denied please check the foll

1. The account you are using to backup exchange should have an active mailbox.
2. The name should have the first five charecters unique. No other account or user in the AD should have the same first five charecters.
3. The user should be visible in the GAL.
4. Create a logon account with the same name and pwd in backup exec mark it as the one by default and also as common
5. Ensure that you use this account during the exchange backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.