cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access is Denied for Public Folders & Mailboxes

Sandi_Showalter
Level 3
I have a client with a new server (Windows 2003 server R2 SP2) and is running BE 11.0 Rev 6235. The remote agent is installed on their Exchange server running under Local System. If I select anything on the Exchange C drive, Information Store, System State or Copy Shadow, it allows me to check it in the selection list and back it up successfully to tape. If I try to check either MS Exchange Public Folders or Mailboxes it automatically gives me an Acces is denied message no matter what Domain Admin acct. I choose.

I have gone in Tools-Options and enabled Legacy mailbox support. The credentials all test successfully when I test them on Exchange C drive, etc.

Even though the Public Folders and Mailboxes aren't selected the job is failing with the following message:

If I just backup a file on the C drive of the Exchange it runs successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Administrators BY DEFAULT do not have access to mailboxes on server...To backup mailboxes you need to give yourself that right or use that users account.

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
I was having the same issue with a very similar server, and was able to resolve it by going into options and checking the box to enable legacy mailbox support, then going into the backup job and unchecking the enable restore of individual mailboxes, and manually selecting the individual mailboxes that I wanted to backup.

Greg

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Sandi,

I have a few questions for you.
What version of Exchange?
When you enabled legacy support, were you able to drill through all of the mailboxes?
Can you back up the IS to disk with out error?

The Exchange account needs to have certain rights that the Domain Admin account doesn't have by default.
Here is a technote that describes exactly how the account needs to be set up:

The most common error that I have seen is hiding the account from the address book, the account you use for your backup can not be hidden.

Thanks.
Patty