cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SaaS Backup Office 365 FAQ

nwishard
Level 3
Employee

Below are FAQ's and troubleshooting tutorials for step-by-step solutions to common problems. Please use the table of contents to skip to your desired question/issue:

How do I choose what to back up?

What can be backed up?

Preparing your Office 365 account

Set up the Office 365 Backup

Browsing the backupset

Finding and downloading a single file

Finding and downloading a folder

Restoring an Office 365 Connector

Office 365 Import dialogue

Where does Veritas store my Data?

How do I download my files/folders?

Is the backup running?

How do I restore a file or a folder?

When does the backup start?

How do I download a different version of the file?

How often does the backup run?

How do I change my email?

I forgot my password

How do I restore a connector?

Creating a public link

Reconfiguring public links

How do I move or copy an item from a restored folder to a different one?

How do I choose what to back up?

Click the gear symbol to the right of the connector.

1. Select ‘Configure device’.
  2. Log in to Microsoft with your Office 365 tenant.
  3. Now you can select the data and users you want to back up.

What can be backed up?

Calendar, OneDrive, Sites, Contacts, Tasks, Mail, and Groups can be backed up:

Preparing your Office 365 Account

Introduction

To avoid problems down the line, there are some things you should have in place before you start setting up your SaaS backup. This will ensure that your SaaS backup is performed correctly.

Unique account for backup

Firstly, we recommend that you set up a dedicated account to handle the backup. This will prevent some potential problems. For example, if the employee responsible for backup leaves the company, the backup is not dependent on this account.

Create a new Account

When creating the new account, it is important that the account is set up with the ‘Global administrator’ role. Veritas is relying on full access to data provided by the global admin. If this is not done, Veritas will not be able to include all data in the backup. It is also necessary for the account to have a license.

Handling groups

If appropriate for your organization, you could create a dedicated backup group, where you add all the user accounts. Veritas will then backup all users of this group, which makes it easier to configure the backup in SaaS Backup.

Set up the Office 365 backup

Introduction

When your Office 365 has been configured and you have your Veritas account ready, it is time to set up a Cloud Connector. You do this by creating a new Cloud Service in SaaS Backup.

Click on “Add” to start

Click on “Add” and a dropdown menu with the available Cloud Connectors will open. Click on “Office 365 Admin”. Once this is done, the process will start. Give the service a name, so you will be directed to Microsoft to authenticate.                

Allow Veritas to access Office 365

In order to perform a backup, Veritas needs to have access to the data. Once you have signed in to the account, Veritas  will ask permission to access all users and their details. It is not possible for Veritas to backup data that the Office 365 administrator account does not have access to.

You will only be asked for permissions the first time you create a backup device. After that, SaaS Backup retains the permissions it needs. Please read this information carefully.

Browsing the backupset

If you need to find some data for recovery or locate something you would like to share, you can simply browse to establish the location of this data.

1. Log in to SaaS Backup then click the O365 connector you wish to browse.
  2. Click folders to browse the backup set.
  3. Use the breadcrumbs to navigate the hierarchy.
  4. Use the “Sort by” drop-down to sort the information to suit your needs. This list will show which options are available and may vary depending on what data you are viewing. 
  5. If relevant, you can filter the current location in the search field at the top of the page.
  6. You can also use snapshots if you want to step back in time.

Finding and downloading a single file

1. Select the Cloud service from which you wish to download the file.
  2. Select the folder containing the file you’re looking for.
  3. Select the file you wish to download and click the Download icon.  
  4. SaaS Backup will now start downloading.

Finding and downloading a folder

1. Choose the Cloud Service account from which you wish to download the folder.
  2. Locate the folder you wish to download, then click on the Download icon.
  3. SaaS Backup will start downloading the folder.
  4. On Windows - Go to “Start”, type download and press enter.
  5. A download window will pop up with all your downloads.

Restoring an Office 365 Connector

In case of a disaster, you may restore a connector. This can be done for all data types across all accounts, or only for specific data types in selected accounts. Restoring will completely replace your current data with the content of the snapshot that you restore. This means that none of your current data will remain, which can be useful in the case of ransomware or a virus attack. Please use Restore with caution!

The options

Snapshots - The specific point in time that you want to restore the data types from.

Restore to a folder - SaaS Backup will create a new folder, where all the data will be restored to. This will only work for Calendar, OneDrive, and Mails.

Restore in place - This will overwrite the data on the account with the restored data.

Data types - The type of data that will be restored. Please note, that not all data types are account related. Sites and Groups have no relation to which accounts are selected, and all groups and/ or sites will restore. 

Accounts - The accounts combined with data types define what will be restored. 

When will my data be back?

From the moment you click on the restore button, the restore job will be put in a queue. Please be patient, as it will take a few moments for the interface to be updated.

For small accounts, SaaS Backup will be able to restore data in a few minutes. For larger accounts, Veritas can be affected by vendor throttling. If you need data fast, we recommend that you simply download the data through our web interface while you wait for the restore to complete.

Office 365 Import Dialogue

Importing simply takes data from one location, and copies it to another location. For example, from one account to another account. Or it could be from one account at a specific point in time and imported into that same account.

1. Select the account from which you’d like to import data. 

When you select which account you would like to import from, this will also define where the data will come from.

1. Select snapshot 

A snapshot represents a point in time when the backup was run. If you select a “5 days ago” snapshot, SaaS Backup will import the data from 5 days ago.

1. In case of duplicate files
    When importing files into a location that already contains files with the same name. You have the following options:

Rename duplicate files: This will rename the files you are importing - importing a duplicate of “filename.png” will automatically create a duplicate called “filename (1).png”.
Overwrite duplicate files: The imported files will simply overwrite the files that are already there. This means you will lose the latest changes to these files in the case that duplicates are restored.
Skip duplicate files: If the files are already there, you simply skip them. This option is useful, when trying to restore data back to a location where only a few files are required.

1. Please select what data should be imported
    Import only supports account-related data, which means it is not possible to use the Import function for Sites and Groups.
  2. Importing from and to
    This takes the data from the account on the left side of the dialogue and imports it to the account on the right side. The list of accounts to import from is the accounts that belong to the device/account you are importing data from. The account you are importing to is the device you selected when you originally chose to import.

How do I download my files/folders?

1. Log in to SaaS Backup
  2. Simply choose the fil/folder you wish to download
  3. Click the download icon (downwards arrow) and the file or folder will be placed in your browser's default download location.

Is the backup running?

You can easily check if your backup is running by logging into SaaS Backup and checking 'Last Update' to the right of the connector.

How do I restore a file or a folder?

1. Select “History Snapshots”.
  2. Chose the point in time you wish to restore from.
  3. Find the file or folder you would like to restore.
  4. Click the “...” icon and select “Restore”.
  5. The file or folder you selected to restore will now be restored to its original location. 

NOTE: If a file with the same name already exists in that location, it will be overwritten.

When does the backup start?

As soon as you have selected the data and users for the backup, SaaS Backup will commence the backup.

How do I download a different version of the file?

1. Click the 3 dots to the right of the file you wish to download “…”.2. Select “Versions”.
  2. A pop-up window will open, and here you can find the specific file version that you need.

How often does the backup run?

Veritas guarentees 1 full tenant backup every day. Veritas automatically checks to start a new backup every 3-4 hours.

How do I change my Email?

1. Click the profile icon in the upper-right corner then select "Settings"
  2. A pop-up window will open, click the pen icon beside your email
  3. Enter your current password, your new email, and select "Save"

I forgot my password

1. Go to the login page.
  2. Click the "Forgot my password" link.
  3. Submit requested information.
  4. Await the verification email.
  5. In the email, click "Reset password".
  6. Submit requested information.
  7. Your password has now been changed.

Creating a public link

1. Select the file or folder you wish to share.
  2. Click the Share icon.
  3. Configure the link with the options you want, and then click Share. 
  4. Copy the link in the next dialogue and send it to the person you wish to share the data with.

Notes:
Public links will always show the latest available data.
Creating a public link from an old snapshot gives you the option to lock the public link to that specific snapshot.

Reconfiguring a public link

1. Click "Links" under the menu in the top right corner. 
  2. If you want to reconfigure a link, click the Gear icon.
  3. If the public link needs to be deleted, click the Garbage can icon.
  4. Click the Share icon to get a fresh URL for the link.

How do I move or copy an item from a restored folder to a different one?

1. Log in to your Microsoft account.
  2. Find the folder the data have been restored to, it is usually named “SaaSBackup_Restore_the date of restore”.
  3. Select a subfolder.
  4. Choose an item and in the main menu at the top of the page, click Move to.
  5. Select the destination folder from the list or click Move to a different folder… Alternatively, you can create a New folder.
  6. To move the file choose the folder and click Move. 
  7. To copy the file select the folder, tickCopy the conversation to the selected folder and click Copy.

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@nwishard 

Some of the questions were never answered, like this one:

Where does Veritas store my Data?