cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec

Scooty
Level 3
I recently upgraded from V11 to V12 and as a result found I was no longer able to use the Legacy agent for the 2 Linux / Unix servers I backup
I purchased 2 x Remote Agents for Linux Server or Macintosh Systems but am finding that when I try and backup even just one Linux server I get an "Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec" error in the job log. It still seems to backup the server thou!
I have run the Backup Exec License Assesment Tool Report and am finding that the system says I have 2 x Remote Agent for Linux Server or Macintosh System licenses available, 0 in use
It also shows that the Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers agent has 1 licesne detected but 2 in use
Since installing the 2 licenses I am now able to browse the file system of the 2 Linux / Unix servers which I couldn't do before

Why would it be showing the 2 different license types and why is it not recognising my new licenses? Is one of these considered the legacy agent? Is there a difference between these 2 license types?
Both systems are Red Hat (different versions thou!)

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Scott
3 REPLIES 3

Planescape
Level 2

I have just discovered a similar issue.  We bought Backup Exec 12 over the summer for our Windows Server 2003 including a Remote Agent for a new Mac Server.  It was working without problem until mid November and now the backup fails with the above message. 

I have checked and updated the license information in BE12 on the Windows Server.  Do I need to reinstall the Remote Agent on the Mac Server?  If so are there any instructions on that process?

Thanks

Unidave
Level 2
We have this exact same issue as well. Started happening this December or November. I have already read the Symantec doc for the error given with a link from within Backup Exec 12. But I still can't figure out how to resolve this message. Everything seems to be backing up just fine. But I would rather see a success message instead of the red error message. Any links to other docs or posts in this site? Or just the answer?

Planescape
Level 2
I ended up using a different backup server.  I think that reinstalling Backup Exec on the server might cure it, let me know