cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing shared folders on synology NAS - administrative credentials not recognized

JDCaduceus
Not applicable

I have been trying to solve this issue for several days now and there has been no solution in sight. I have been able to add my file server (synology nas) to backup exec. However, each of the shared folders that is on this fileserver we should be able to be accessed with the same administrator credentials are used to add the fileserver to begin with fail each and every time. I have tried numerous attempts to find a solution to this issue. I have read several posts were others that had similar problems. Here is the situation and what I have done:

1. I have installed and have been  beta testing Windows server 2016 technical preview 5.
2. I have made sure that the option to  user access to file shares is enabled in backup exec.
3. The administrator credentials for the fileserver are tested successfully each and every time providing access to the fileserver itself.
4. The same administrative credentials that have access the fileserver, which should be accessible to each of the shared files, continuously fail when testing credentials.

The problem with this is that I cannot back up the access to file shares at a granular level because the individual file shares are now able to be accessed in backup exec for whatever reason. Hence, any backup I start ultimately fails because of the inability to access the shared folders.

I appreciate any insight as I feel that this issue has come up several times on this form but no conceivable answer I have found in my research has helped.

Thanks again for anyone who doesn't mind spending some time to give me a hand.
Conrad

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Windows Server 2016 won't be supported at all yet...nothing in the SCLs of any version to suggest this. You need to install at best Windows Server 2012 R2. This also depends on your version of BE...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The NTLM signing methods and/or the SMD version on tgeh NAS can all contrinbute to blockeing acces to shjares on remote devices

at a basic level I'd suggest

1) Make sure if is using tegh domain security and not some kind of workgrouped mode.

2) make sure the Backup Exec Service account has full access to all of the shares (including doing a test by  logging into the Windows console of the Backup Exec server as that account and making sure you can get to the shares)

3) make sure the System Logon account inside Backup Exec is the same as the Backup Exec Service Account.

4) if using a different account for the actual backup, make sure this account is configured inside Backup Exec and that it has full acess to all of the shares (including domg a test by logging into the Windows console of the Backup Exec server as that account and making sure you can get to the shares)

4) if you still have a problem start looking at the NTLM signing and SMB version (your NAS may be able to offer an older version of SMB compatibility against the shares and you can change the NTLM signing level with resgitry modificatiosn to the operating system of the Backup Exec server)

Oh and if you are trying to use this NAS for Backup to disk storage - then configure it for iSCSI and attach it into the OS of the server instead of trying to use shares (much easier)