cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual Start Time Reported Prior To Original Start Time In Job Histories.

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
A review of the Job Histories shows inconsistencies in reported 'Original Start Times' versus the reported 'Job Started'; I believe the 'Job Started' information is being reported correct. Below is sample data from an entry in the Job History.

Original start time : Monday, December 11, 2006 5:00:00 AM
Job started : Friday, December 08, 2006 8:20:36 AM
Job ended : Friday, December 08, 2006 8:22:55 AM
Elapsed time : 00:02:19
Files : 0
Directories : 3
Skipped files : 0
Corrupt files : 0
Files in use : 0
Byte count : 4,752 bytes
Job rate : 0.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)
8 REPLIES 8

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Perform the following steps and verify the results.

1. Run Beutility from \Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT

2. Add the Backup Exec server to All Media Servers ( File >> New >> New Media Server )

3. Right click on the Backup Exec server listed in "All Media Servers" and select "Repair Database"

4. Check the results after repairing the database

Thank You,

Shweta

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
Hi,

Thank you for interest in this issue; I currently have an open case with Symantec Technical Support over the issue and it is in review with their engineers. Those servers are in production and we're waiting for a response. However, I did implement your suggestion on a Backup Exec server instance I have setup to replicate this issue in a laboratory environment. The data represents similar entries with a 24 hour discrepancy in each entry in the Job History Summary.

The Data Before Database Repair:
Original start time : Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:00:00 PM
Job started : Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:00:13 PM
Job ended : Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:01:21 PM
Elapsed time : 00:01:08
Files : 1
Directories : 4
Byte count : 506,578 bytes
Job rate : 14.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)

The Data After Database Repair:
Original start time : Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:00:00 PM
Job started : Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:00:13 PM
Job ended : Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:01:21 PM
Elapsed time : 00:01:08
Files : 1
Directories : 4
Byte count : 506,578 bytes
Job rate : 14.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job

It looks like the Job Histories Data has been unaffected by the database repair operation you suggested. In addition, I have noted similar reporting inconsistencies regarding the Original Start Time field in three separate installations of Backup Exec 10d across different organizations that I have been able to cross reference.

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
Here is the standing response from Symantec Engineering:

Charles,

I have researched your issue and this has already been identified. A correction is currently being worked on and will be released as a Hotfix 10 for Backup Exec 11d when it becomes available. Check periodically through Liveupdate for Backup Exec to get the update when it is available.

I will archive this case. If the release of the Hotfix 10 does not resolve the issue, let me know.

Regards,

Steven Welborn
Backup Exec Advanced Technical Support Engineer
1-800-634-4747

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
Here is my reply in return:

Steve,

Are you saying that this is an acknowledged issue and won't be resolved for customers using version 10d of Backup Exec? While you are at it maybe you can fix the 'Custom Filter' on 'Job History' so that the GUI retains entries from session to session. Thanks.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
I'm not certain you are interpreting the job info correctly.

For example, I have a job that runs once every 4 weeks.
This is from the 20 Jan 2007 execution:

Original start time : Saturday, 23 December 2006 7:15:01 AM
Job started : Saturday, 20 January 2007 7:15:04 AM

What it's telling me is that THIS job, the 20 Jan execution, got into the "current jobs" pane, and then into "job history" pane, as a result of a job that was scheduled to run on 23 Dec 2006 (and did, in fact, run).

The NEXT time this job runs, 17 Feb 2007, it will show an "Original start time" of 'Sat, 20 Jan' - because that's the job that put it back in the queue.

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in this issue; after numerous conversation and diagnostic sessions with Symantec Engineering where they have collected all relevant job data, they concure that the Job History entries as reported by the Backup Exec engine are flawed and no fix will be made available for versions 9 or 10. You can read their response directly quoted from their reply in this thread.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
too bad they condsider it flawed! - glad they'll leave v10 alone.
It makes lots of sense to me the way it reports now, and i find it useful.

Charles_Wenger
Level 3
Below I've copied and pasted and pasted the relevant data from two entries in the Job History:

Job 1:
Original start time : Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:00:00 AM
Job started : Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:00:03 AM
Job ended : Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:04:36 AM
Elapsed time : 00:04:33

Job 2:
Original start time : Friday, January 19, 2007 4:00:00 PM
Job started : Monday, January 15, 2007 12:29:03 AM
Job ended : Monday, January 15, 2007 2:55:22 AM
Elapsed time : 02:26:19

The first job entry shows exactly what would be expected; a job originally scheduled to run at 5:00:00 AM actually kicking off three seconds later. The second job shows data that is really unlikely for obvious reasons, the Original start time as four days AFTER the job Actually started. Both of these entries represent jobs scheduled on a repeating basis.

I have discussed this issue with other site operators and they are seeing the same variation in their recorded results as I am. If your site is showing a consistent variation at least your lucky there. I've been told there is no plan to patch version 9 or 10.