Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP Ultrium 460 Drive"
{EC968C4C-F2CB-49D2-B243-FEDC020D22DE}
Media = "UTR-xx-TL1-THU1"
{D081E5CD-F10C-49D2-9C50-E2CE9E9DB463}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

We are using Veritas 10.0, with all updates. Running on Windows 2003 with all updates. As tapeloader we use a HP StorageWorks SSL1016 tapeloader with a Ultrium 460 tape unit.

A couple of days ago (10) the error was nowhere. Since the last 10 days I get this error everyday.

We have an identical situation here, same loader software and server and there the error does not occur.

Is it possible that the problem occurs because of the use of 2 backuptapes everyday? We use slot 1 and 2 for monday, slot 3 and 4, etc.

Please help me. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

7 REPLIES 7

Tha_Duck
Level 2
Nobody?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It looks like there is a problem writing to the tape drive.

Check the System Log for Event ID 7 - this signify bad blacks on the tape.

Suggest giving the tape drive a couple of cleans then trying the backup with brand new tapes.
If you still get the same errors, suggest having the tape drive repaired or replaced.

Tha_Duck
Level 2
The tapeunit is brand new (1 month old) and the tapes are new also (1 week old). I have 14 brand new tapes loaded. Also the drive has been cleaned twice friday.

Today I replaced the SCSI card (from a Adaptec 29160 to a Adapted 39160) card. Also the cable from the card to the unit has been replaced. I hope to know more tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I will let you know what happens after the next backup.

Harry_Sach
Level 3
I am having the same problem with my SSL1016, except mine has the DLT1 drive. I switched back to the Veritas driver but now instead of the error in the event log, every once in a while the backup job will fail with an I/O error and then the tape will be seen as Blank Media. So it seems as if I have a problem with either driver. If I use Veritas' the job will fail and the tape will show up as Blank, if I use HP's I will constantly get errors showing up in the Event Viewer and my backup jobs seem to take much longer. Strange since this didn't happen when I was using 9.0 with this same equipment.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please let us know if the above given suggestions were helpful.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Guys

You're not the only ones with these problems with tape loaders.
Check out this thread (and my post)

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=61751&tstart=0