cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added server to domain A, now can't backup servers in domain B

Tyler_Dishman
Level 2
Here's the situation:

I have 3 NT 4.0 Domains that I'm backing up. 2 of the domains are located in 1 building, and the 3rd is located in a separate building. About 1 week ago, I added a new Win2003 server to the main domain (same domain that the BE server belongs two). I added 3 new 9.1 licenses to the BE server, and pushed the remote agent to this new server.

After doing that, all of a sudden the 2 servers in my 3rd domain can no longer be backed up. I'm getting the:

Unable to attach to \\server\c:
Unable to attach to \\server\d:

I'm positive the remote agents are installed (the services are running on both servers). Just to be on the safe side I've re-pushed the agents to each server. I have tried both the System account and the domain admin account for logon credentials, but that didn't help either. I've restarted all servers (BE server as well as both remote servers).

I can't find any more information that might help me troubleshoot this problem.
1 REPLY 1

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Backing up in more than one domain:

- While backing up servers or workstations in another domain, you must create a trust relationship between the host domain and the target domain.
- The host domain is where the Backup Exec server is located. The target domain is the where the computer you want to be back up is located.
- For the purpose of backup, you only require a one-way trust relationship, in which the target domain trusts the host domain.

• If you are backing up servers only across domains, allow the target domain to trust the host domain in a one-way trust relationship. Then in the target domain, add the Backup Exec service account to local Administrators group.

• If you are backing up servers and workstations across domains, allow the target domain to trust the host domain in a one-way trust relationship.
In the target domain, add the Backup Exec service account to the local Administrators group; then add the Backup Exec service account to local Administrators of each selected workstation.

Also enable the Restrict anonymous support .

To modify the value of the key, do the following:

1.Start Regedit or Regedt32

2. Locate the registry key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | VERITAS | Backup Exec | Engine | NTFS folder

3. Modify the Restrict Anonymous Support key value to 1 (Figure 1)

4. Stop and restart the Backup Exec services
5.Quit Regedit or Regedt32

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.