cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Synology NAS to Backup EXEC 2014

Nielsje07
Level 3

Hello,

Our users use a Synology DiskStation 1813+ to save their data. We need to backup that data.

We have a Windows Server 2012 server with Backup EXEC 2014. I need to add the NAS to Backup EXEC. I choose a File server or NDMP device to add. I type the IP adress from my NAS and set the right credentials, so far so good.

Whe I create a backup schedule, choose the shares to backup and run a Test Run it will pass. When I run the job I get this error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The server could not be backed up . Ensure that the server is online, and that the the correct version of the Agent for Windows is installed.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899
Unable to attach to \\device\share

V-79-57344-33899 - The server could not be backed up . Ensure that the server is online, and that the the correct version of the Agent for Windows is installed.

We tried several things to solve the problem but I can't fix it.

I hope someone has a solution!

13 REPLIES 13

lmosla
Level 6

Is there a AWS (agent for windows server) ,installed on the Media server, to backup the NAS?

in addition see this :http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73015

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that the BESA is added to the NAS as a local admin with full read/write permissions to the entire disk.

Nielsje07
Level 3

Yes the Agent for Windows Server is installed on the Media Server. I tried to re-install it but that didn't work.

Nielsje07
Level 3

Yes the credentials we use have full admin, read/wirte permissions to the entire disk.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try changing the default NDMP port from 10000 to another port such as 12000.

Nielsje07
Level 3

Our NAS don't support NDMP. I tried to change the RAWS ports but it doesn't worked.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls elaborate as to how and where was the RAWS port changed ?

Does the backup job fail immediately or after a byte count ?

Nielsje07
Level 3

I changed the port in Backup EXEC Settings -> Network and Security -> Enable TCP dynamic port range.

The job fail inmediately. First the device is prepared, then the status change to Quered and then the job fails.

VJware
Level 6

If a firewall exists, then enable the option of TCP dynamic port range, else no need to.

To change the port, you'll have to edit the services file on the BE media server and edit as :-

NDMP                   12000/tcp                  #Network Data Management Protocol

Restart the BE services or better still, restart the BE server for the changes to take effect.

Nielsje07
Level 3

There is no firewall between te server and the NAS.

We have 2 AWS licences. We installed two agents on Hyper-V server 1 and Hyper-V server 2. Do I need to porchure a third AWS license for the NAS?

VJware
Level 6

Afaik, I know yes.

Nielsje07
Level 3

Can anyone confirm this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
He is correct, but you can confirm this with the Symantec Licencing department which is the final authority on licensing matters