cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Administrator Password??

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

I recently began working for a company that uses Backup Exec 9.1 on their Windows 2003 Small Business Server. Although they have given me several passwords to try, I have been unable to log in to the software.

When I start the software, a signon screen appears with "Administrator" in the Username. I try password after password, but nothing seems to work.

I would appreciate any suggestions, even if it is to remove and re-install the software.

Thanks,

TFISHER
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Should be the Administrator Account\Password on the SBS server.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. The Administrator password was changed. I have tried the old Administrator password and the new Administrator password with no luck.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

TFISHER

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If you are getting the Logon when you start BE - this is usually because the BE services are not started.

Check your BE services, make sure they are all started up.

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hi John,

You are correct, the services are not started. I have tried to start them, but the startup fails each time.

The error is:

>>The Backup Exec Server service depends on the Backup Exec Device & Media Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.<<

When I do try to log on to BE, I get a message that says:

>>The Backup Exec Server system service is not responding. the service is either not running or not installed.<<

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TFISHER

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello,

Additional information. Wnen I look at the Backup Exec Services Manager, the server is stopped. When I click Start all services, I get the following message:

(I replaced the actual server name with the word SERVER)

>>Processing services

Start services on server: SERVER
Starting Backup Exec Naming Service on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Naming Service on SERVER.
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on SERVER.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is already running on SERVER.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on SERVER.

Starting Backup Exec Server on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on SERVER.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on SERVER.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVER.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on SERVER.

Start services on server SERVER completed.

Processing services completed!<<

Thanks for any other thoughts you might have.

TFISHER

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'll bet that the BackupExec services are set to run as Administrator

Go to the Services Applet, and check the properties for each BackupExec service. If they are indeed starting as Administrator, you can change the password there, for each service

You can also create a separate account for BackupExec, and Start using that. It needs to be an Admin account and needs 'act as part of the operating system' rights

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hi Ken,

You are correct, when I open a BE service and click on the Log On tab, This account is set to the Administrator and does have Password and Confirm password filled in.

Before I start changing the passwords on these services, a couple more questions please.

1. Since a password is entered in BE for each service, why does it not start? Is it because the SBS Administrator password was changed?

2.. Other than knowing the new password for each service, what other ramifications should I expect when I change the password for each service?

3. Although all BE services are marked as Automatic, Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is the only one that is Started. The others do not start when I try to manually start them. WhenI change the password for this service, will it mess anything up?

Thanks for your help!

TFISHER

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1) Correct, the old password is still associated with the services

2) None

3) Because the RemoteAgent logs on as the LocalSytem account, not a named user account. After changing the password(s) to the new Administrator password, the others should start. You can use the BESTART.CMD file located in the \Utils directory rather than starting each individually (and there is a correct order)

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Once you have changed the password for the services and they are started - also change the password in BE.
Go to Network, Logon Account - and edit the user who is YOURDOMAINNAME\Administrator

Terry_Fisher
Level 3
Hello

Thank-you, everyone, for your help. I am now able to start the services and get into the BE program. I have some more questions, but I will post them in a new thread.

Thank-you,

TFISHER