cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced and Advanced Open File Options

Dcolbert
Level 3

We're running BE 10D Rev 5629 (Hotfix 6)

I've been struggling with performance and patch level issues for months now. In particular, when I arrived, we had already migrated to SQL 2005 but a corresponding migration to 10D hotfix 6 had never taken place. Instead, SQL files were being dumped nightly by SQL jobs and those .bak files were then being backed up to tape - despite having valid SQL open file backup licenses. Hardware revision and patch levels were also a year or more behind from our hardware vendor's recommendations. Exclusions were non-existant, and Virus software policy was scanning on all reads and writes, along with a mountain of other issues.

Lots of different hands spent a lot of time trying to tweak performance and develop workaround issues in the time before I came, and I've made my fair share of changes since.

My question is, after reading the BE 10 documentation on Job Properties\Advanced and Advanced Open File options, I'm not sure I understand the "best practice" settings for these.

My first job has Enable Single Instance backup for NTFS checked and Back up files and directories by following junction points checked.

Use Advanced Open File Option is checked, with Automatically select open file technology.

My second job matches the first, except it is backing up SQL 2005 DBs that do not yet have the 10D agent pushed to them, so Advanced Open File is unchecked on this job.

My third job, we just pushed the 10D agent to last night (ans is also a SQL 2005 DB). Currently, under Properties\Advanced I have ONLY enable single instance backup for NTFS checked. Back up files and directories by following junction points is unchecked.

Use Advanced Open File Option is also unchecked.

I understand that one best practice is to split your SQL backup for a server apart from your regular system and application backup. We'll do that, but it'll require change control.

In the meantime, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for setting these other options that might enhance performance and make things run more reliably?

2 REPLIES 2

Dcolbert
Level 3

Additional information.

Last night I changed my third job, which gave me no failures the previous night, to Use Advanced Open File Option - automatically select open file technology.

Yesterday the job took just under 9 hours and 40 minutes. With this change, it now is taking 10 and 1/2 hours. It still completed without errors.

Dcolbert
Level 3

Not a single response?

Is it just that I can't understand the explaination of these features in the BE 10 manual, or that NO one really has any idea what these features do or do not do, because the manual is just that bad?