cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and disadvantages of file lock option

takaratta
Level 4

In Backup Job Option, I can choose "Open file backup when Advanced Open File Option is not used".

This option is

- Never

- With a lock

- If closed within xx seconds

- Without a lock

I'm wondering how this setting.

For each value, I want to know the advantages and disadvantages.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There is nothing as "better" while choosing one of these options & again these are to be set only if the backup does not meet the requirements of the Advanced Open File Option.

Again, it depends whether you want your open files to be backed up or not. If yes, then you choose between " with a lock " or " without a lock " again depending if you want the file to be exclusively used by Backup Exec during the backup.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

Check the last 4 sections of this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22637

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Please check the doucmentation in admin guide on page no 340 that should help you to understand & resolve your query

Link to download Admin gude is below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77887

takaratta
Level 4

I know this document.

But I cannot think which is better........

Please advice your environment or your thought..

Personal opinion is no problem.

VJware
Level 6

There is nothing as "better" while choosing one of these options & again these are to be set only if the backup does not meet the requirements of the Advanced Open File Option.

Again, it depends whether you want your open files to be backed up or not. If yes, then you choose between " with a lock " or " without a lock " again depending if you want the file to be exclusively used by Backup Exec during the backup.

takaratta
Level 4

Ok. I will consider.

Thank you very much.