cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice to speed up or optimize Full Exchange Backup in BE2010R3

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Running a backup of Exchange 2007 3 nights a week using BE2010R3 and it's taking about ~16 hours to do 430gb. I'm looking for a way to speed this up a bit if possible. I start the job at 10 pm and actively try to avoid running concurrent jobs. The Backup is set up as a Full Backup of Information store & Logs w\flush of committed logs, GRT option, and consistency check (takes ~60-90 minutes for the consistency check). I also Verify after completion.

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

Do you need the cocnsistency check?  This is validating the database is safe to backup.  This is an optional step for the warm and fuzzies, not a requirement for backup.

Then you could use a policy to chain a verify to happen after the backup.  So your backup can take XX amount of time, and the backup is done.  Then the verify can take as long as it needs.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the Exchange server performance during backup. If it is running out of CPU/memory/network you may have a bottleneck.
Also check virusscanning. Disable it for the Exchange databases and also disable transport scanning to speed up.

Is the Exchange server running virtual on Vmware ? If so you can use the Vmware agent and use SAN transport method. This will backup a complete VMDK, and the GRT technology will make it possible to restore individual files.

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Even without the consistency check, the actual backup would be 14-15 hours....  The job looks to be set up by the book and I'm checking to see if I missed anything. There may not be anything that I can do to speed things up, but I have to ask.

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

I am reviewing the performance now. AV has been reviewed and should not be an issue. We have monitors running and I'm looking at the network, CPU and memory use of the Backup and Exchange. Exchange server is not a VM. We are using clustered physical boxes. 

Thanks,

Steve Uhall

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Dear Sir:

Please check the online maintenance schedule of your Exchange databases as they may overlap your backup jobs. See the event viewer to know when the maintenance tasks are starting and ending.

Also, these links may be of help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3276

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49521

Regards,