cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After running a full weekly backup, the daily backup does a full backup.

mike_brooker
Level 5

The issue, after running a full weekly backup, the daily backup does a full backup.

Testing new BEWS server, config is the same as the old one which works fine.

Config:

Linux server B2D

Daily Mon-Thurs OPP 3 days, append period none

Weekly Full Fri - OPP 6days , append period none

I ran a full backup last night which completed fine.

I then ran the daily diff backup (manually started) this morning and it starts to do a full backup again - what have I missed? I was expecting it to backup very little as nothing much had changed.

Is times over-lapping? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mike_brooker
Level 5

Ran a full backup with the full backup now set at "Full backup using modified time" (previously it was set at "Copy files"

Ran daily diff using modified time (which it has always been set at)

Result- it runs perfectly Ok.

Stiil, doesn't explain why the other BEWS server works fine using "Full - copy files" adn daily diffs modified time. Ran with no errors and have restored data from both the full and diffs a few times. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using INCR (Modified Time) or INCR (Archive Bit)?

do you use the same selection list for both FULL and INCR?

mike_brooker
Level 5

I'm using modified (as it is a Ralus agent) and the daily back is a diff.

Same selection list for full and diffs.

I noticed that the full back-up had only finished for a few hours before I ran the diff and was wondering if some process didn't have time to "catch up".

I've now left it for 24 hours and I'm going to try and run the daily diff again and see what happens - I had this happen once before, and, IIRC, I deleted the policy and started over, but at that time I was not at all familar with BEWS.

mike_brooker
Level 5

Well it's still doing the same - just to check I have this right.

1) I run a full back-up, as I believe this is what you have to do before running a diff

2) I the run the differential - but it appears to be a full back-up

Is this right?

Just spotted something, for the full backup I had it set at "Full backup - copy files" and not "Full backup using modified time" - so I'm starting over.
The daily diffs are set at "Differential - using modified time".
Strange thing is, the old server is set at "Full backup - copy files" and "Differential - using modified time" and has worked fine:smileyindifferent:
Message Edited by mike brooker on 07-30-2008 02:27 AM
Message Edited by mike brooker on 07-30-2008 02:27 AM

mike_brooker
Level 5

Ran a full backup with the full backup now set at "Full backup using modified time" (previously it was set at "Copy files"

Ran daily diff using modified time (which it has always been set at)

Result- it runs perfectly Ok.

Stiil, doesn't explain why the other BEWS server works fine using "Full - copy files" adn daily diffs modified time. Ran with no errors and have restored data from both the full and diffs a few times.