cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrade to SP3, Backup Exec 2012 cannot perform consistency check on SQL databases

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello,

I upgraded Backup Exec (BUE) 2012 to SP3 and pushed updated agents to all servers, etc.  Backup Exec blew away the ability to backup Microsoft SQL databases as after the upgrade, Servers that once had SQL databases in the selection list, no longer had them.  I had Support look into it and it appeared that in some cases an upgrade to SP3 can blow away your SQL job settings and selections, in addition to corrupting the Agents and Options licenses on the Media Server.  After many hours of troubleshooting, Support was able to reinstall the Agents and Options on the Media Server, added back my .slf licenses and all is well.  Now I had to create new backup jobs for the SQL databases.  After doing this, I am no longer able to use Backup Exec to perform physical consistency checks on SQL databases where it could perform them in the past (pre-SP3).  Again I had Support look into this.  With Support's help I was able to make backups of SQL databases without using the physical consistency check option, I set this to None.

I performed a manual database consistency check (DBCC) using SQL Server Management Studio and dbcc passed.

Additionally, Backup Exec cannot perform consistency checks on databases running on other SQL Servers where it once was able to prior to the upgrade.

My environment:

Backup Exec Media Server is Windows 2008R2 SP1 with Backup Exec 2012 SP3.  VSS is set to Microsoft VSS for AOFO on Backup Exec.

Production SQL Servers:

Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 SP1

Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2012

As you know advanced level weekend Tech Support or whatever they call themselves now has escalted this to engineering that only works M-F :-).  

Any advice is appreicated,

-Steven

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

While it may have no bearing on your problem, you should not turn on AOF when you backup SQL databases.  You would be unable to do a re-directed restore when you turn on AOF.

1) Have you tried restarting the SQL instances after the BE remote agent service is up and running?

2) Have you tried repairing the BEDB using the BEUtility which can be found in the BE installation directory?

3) Does a full consistency check fail?

Steven_L_
Level 3

Hello Pkh,

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall, probably the easist solution or build a new server.

Thanks,

-Steven