cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent crashing on Domino after upgrade to 12.

curriertech
Level 3
We've been on 10d for quite a while, then a few weeks ago upgraded to 11d with no issues.  When the notification of 12 came out I jumped on it, and I haven't had a good Domino backup since because the agent keeps crashing.  The agents on our other non-Domino servers seem to be fine.  I recall this being a common issue with 11d when it was first released.  Here is the error that shows in the event log on the Domino server:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 12.0.1364.0, faulting module bedsnote.dll, version 12.0.1364.0, fault address 0x00022040.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any ideas?  I'll go back to 11d if I have to, but I'd much rather get this one issue worked out and stick with 12. 

55 REPLIES 55

curriertech
Level 3
Some additional info:

All servers are 2003 R2 SP2 running under VMWare VI3.  Domino version is 7.0.2 FP2. 

Server 1: Domino, SMSDOM 5, SAV 10.1.6
Server 2. Domino, LEI, SMSDOM 5, SAV 10.1.6, Cadenza Server
Server 3: Domino, SMSDOM 7, SAV 10.1.6, BES 4.1.4
Server 4: Domino, SMSDOM 7, SAV 10.1.6, Maysoft SpamSentinel

Server 1 seems most prone to the agent crashing, but 3 and 4 have also crashed at least once.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the agent, rebooted, and run liveupdate on the BE server, but the issue persists.

curriertech
Level 3
I'm trying to get this worked out with Support, but so far no luck.  I'll post any relevant results as I get them.

ashridgeuk
Not applicable
Look forwards to the resluts.... in the same boat as you.

All working well on 11d, upgrade to 12 carried out and now having problems with backing up my domino mail server

Andy

curriertech
Level 3
Per Symantec Support I did the following:

On the Domino servers:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\DOMINO

Changed Enable Change Journal to 0
Changed Enable Notes Databse Filtering to 0

Restarted services...

Agents are no longer crashing during backup, successes included 1 full and 3 incremental backups since making this change.  Seems to have fixed it for me, so let me know how it works for you!

Petri_Nieminen
Level 2
Partner Certified
Hi,

And thanks for this info.

Used and running test right know. It seems alot better now but need more testing.

I still get alot this error in domino console >
"Process C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\belnapi.exe (6432/0x1920) has terminated abnormally"

Its 7.0.2 and running windows 2003 SP1.

-pete-

talker2
Level 2
Hi,

Many thanks to Josh for posting this solution. It seems that there are still good people who like to share knowledge and informations with others :)

With new LTO-4 Tape Library, I recently switched from ArcServe to Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers 12. Currently running in trial period. The only problem I had, was Domino agent crashes every night, because of symptoms described in this forum thread. I could not find anywhere solution for this until today on this forum.

Now I amended registry on Domino server 7.0.2 as Josh has posted, restarted whole Domino server (including OS Windows 2003 SP1), restarted another W2k3 server, where core BE resides. After first successful Domino backup, Domino agent is not crashing any more and I don't get any more "Process C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\belnapi.exe has terminated abnormally" error in Domino console. At least after first backup everything looks MUCH better than before.

I will monitor close night backup next few days. Hopefully, after applying this solution, BE will work as expected.

Martin

curriertech
Level 3
I see the belnapi.exe error in the Domino console as well, but so far it doesn't seem to affect the backups so I'm ignoring it. 

Glad to help, guys!  When we share our individual results from working with support, we leave the support staff with more time to focus on other important issues rather than going over the same issue with many different people.  : )

curriertech
Level 3
I'm still having some issues with one of our Domino servers, and the job hangs on that server almost every time the backup runs.  I'm going to remove/reinstall the agent again and see if it helps.  I've emailed support again, but it's been over a week and no response.  At this point I'm seriously considering just blowing away this install and going back to 11d.

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Hi, I too have managed to get domino agent working (with Symantec support) by installing the Remote agent direcly on the remote server (not by deploying from media server) and using the fix described above

Changed Enable Change Journal to 0
Changed Enable Notes Databse Filtering to 0

My question is..  what do these registry entries do? what exactly are we disabling?

Thanks

curriertech
Level 3
I have no idea.  I should have asked when I was on the phone with support, but at the time I just wanted it to work. 

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
I was just on the phone to a tech and this is sort of what he said about the registry entries:

Change Journal:  The are 2 change journals, one windows, one LN,  BE uses windows one by default however sometime there are issues with it, so by disabling the change journal you are now using the LN one.  The change journal stores changes in LN databases so BE knows when to back them up, espescially in incremental/differantial backups.

DB Filtering:  This is only used when browsing LN databases via job selections.  it filters out all the non LN databases from the selection veiw.

Not sure how correct this info is between my understanding of what the tech was saying and his third party info.  Someone with more knowledge may be able to clarify.

Cheers SV

curriertech
Level 3
I'm calling support again today, still having nothing but trouble with the Domino backups.  :(

Randolfini
Level 2
I'm experiencing this same error on my mail server and have been unable to consistently backup for weeks since upgrading to 12..  I use BESR to backup the c: and BEX to b2d c: and d:, then both go to tape.

Mail server:  Server 2003 R2 SP2, Domino 7.0, MAV 8.5i (no patches), Blackberry Professional for Domino, data size 81GB.

However I can backup my other Domino server (Server 2003 R2 SP2, Domino R5, MAV 8.5i (no patches), data size 71GB) without issue using the Domino agent.

I've tried removing/reinstalling the agent and last night tried breaking the jobs up to a Domino only backup.  It was successful, however the agent still crashed so that another backup job would have failed.  I'm also receiving the belnapi.exe has termintated abnormally in the console.

Message Edited by Randolfini on 04-28-2008 02:19 AM

Randolfini
Level 2
Just to follow up on this:

I rolled the Domino server back to the 11D agent and it has successfully backed up four times now.  I plan on testing the 12 SP1 agent this weekend to see if it is resolved...if not I will stick with 11D agent.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mats_Holm
Level 4
Hi!
Anyone having any more info about this?
One customer having the same problem and we have been editing the registry as descibes earlier in this post and we have only the disk where the Notes datafiles are in the backupjob. Still no Notes backup succeeds.
Sometimes it takes 40 MB and sometimes around 75% of the files (80 GB) but not all.

//Mats

curriertech
Level 3
I reverted the server and all agents back to 11D and I've had no problems since.  :)

Mats_Holm
Level 4
The problem for this customer is that they are upgrading Domino to version 8.x this weekend and they need to be on version 12.
I'll contact Symantec in next week and log a new case for this and see what happens.

//Mats

curriertech
Level 3
After a few weeks of getting nowhere, they "escalated" my case and then I went 6 days without further contact from them before I just reverted.  Hopefully you get better support than I got.  :)

David_Cook_5
Level 3
I've been having this on 4 from 4 domino servers upgraded to Backup Exec 12

Part of the problem I've noticed is that the UCJ file (created in Backup Exec) that contains the list of Notes databases appears to corrupt. By renaming this and then restarting the services, I've got each backup to run once and then the corruption happens again.

Quite often once the problem occurs once, then you cannot browse the Notes Databases through the Backup Exec Console, it locks up and then the remote agent crashes after time.

I'll give the workaround mentioned, a try, however I can't roll this software out nationwide and hack the registry on each one.