cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent question

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,

Sometimes ago we did add our DC as a file server to the BE 15 to back-up some files. now we have enough Agent and we want to install the Windows Agent on this DC.

when we go to the Back and Resore we see this server there. how can I install the Agent on this server? should I remove it first and then readd it again? or just add the server one more time?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If right clicking the server object does not give a chance to push the agent to the system in question then you may have to remove it and recreate it using the add windows server wizard - although I guess you could try a local install of the agent and then manually configure publishing and trusts afterwards instead of removing the server. I doubt we have any documentaion on this as we do not get many customers that have done it (especially because the below note means they don't save any money by not installing the agent on a Windows system)

NOTE: If you mean you were backing up the DC in question over shares and never purchased an agent license for it then you were in breach of licensing as you need a license irrespective of whether the agent software is installed and running on the remote system

Thanks for reply

We will try to install the agent manually and then stablish the trust.

regarding yor comment "they don't save any money by not installing the agent on a Windows system' How can't  this not save  mony when you should pay mony for each Agent? we didnot install the agent becuse we could backup the AD with Windows backup and we needed to backup only some folders.

Also you said ""then you were in breach of licensing " if this is a breach of licencing then I think that this option shouldn't  be there at all! we pay tones of mony for other licences so if we knew using this option without a lic is breach of licence believe you me that we would get one more licence.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Over 10 years ago we identified that some customers were paying for no remote agent licenses at all but were backing up 100s of remote systems and expecting us to support the environment - at that point our licensing was changed so that ANY remote system has to have an appropriate license even if you do not install our agent into the system concerned - as such a backup over a Windows share DOES require a license.

If you want to see proof of this - then as long as you are beyond the 60 day trailware period, try backing up such shares with no Windows Agent or Application Agent licenses installed on your server at all - if you do this you will receive a license error and the backup will fail.

Note: The recommended licensing package for larger environments is the Capacity Edition which does provide ability to backup any number of remote systems and does not need separate agent licenses