cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in "Device Name"

Kostas_Kourti1
Level 2
Hello,

We were backing up daily (Full Backup) a Microsoft SQL server, the System State, the BKUPEXEC SQL and some files without a problem. Two tapes were available anytime but the job used only one tape (578 GB with hardware compression).

Last week the job started using both of the tapes (589 GB with hardware compression) and everything seems normal until point where the verify operation runs right after the backup operation. There we get the message: "Verify: An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in ΄Device Name’. V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent."

We have referred to the link V-79-57344-33994 (http://www.seer.support.veritas.com/DOCS/273455.HTM)
but we had no success.

Also no success with the link such as:
http://www.seer.support.veritas.com/DOCS/253576.HTM

In the Event Viewer we see two error messages:
Event ID: 57608 Source: Backup Exec
A format inconsistency was encountered while positioning to begin a tape read operation on device "Device-Name".

Event ID: 34113 Source: Backup Exec
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "Server-Name") (Job: "Job-Name")
The job failed with the following erro: The data being read from the media is inconsistent

Before this backup-verify job another backup-verify job runs daily (Full Backup) without any error messages. This one uses only one tape.

Do you have any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
I had encountered this once a couple of months ago and the reason this happens is probably due to more than one tape being used for the backup job. Are you using a tape library with partitions? I think this error could be due to the verify process not being able to find the other tape hence the inconsistency error.

Kostas_Kourti1
Level 2
Thank you for this answer.

Yes I am using a tape library (IBM 4560 SLX) with partitions.
The partition for this job has two slots.Both of these slots are engaged with this job.
Also I need to have partitions since I need more than one Backup-Verify job.
Did you overcome this problem?Message was edited by:
Kostas Kourtides

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Yes, I had overcome this problem. Strange you are encountering this problem but then you'd expect such strange things with BE !! :)
I am on version 10.1d and my daily backups use two SDLT tapes which occupy a partition of 2 slots. My verify jobs run okay. Make sure that the partition is being used for both the backup and verify jobs.

Kostas_Kourti1
Level 2
We had erased some data and backup-verify (which is actually the same job, right after the backup runs the verify) runs OK. But when the database will grow again, I believe that we will encounter the same problem.
How do I make sure that the partition being used for this job is both for backup and verify?
I am on version 10.0 Rev 5484

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
If you have a partition of 2 slots and this partition is used for the daily backup then it would also be used for the verify. The verify process is part of the backup job.
Have you considered upgrading to 10.1d?

Kostas_Kourtide
Level 3
By upgrading to 10.1d you mean the version 10.0 Revision 5629 I guess.

I will try the upgrade llater this week and see what happens. Meanwhile Backup-Verify runs smoothly.

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Actually BE 10.1 revision 5629. Try it out and tell me how it goes :)

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kostas_Kourtide
Level 3
I have not install 5629 yet. I will do that this weekend. Probably this will solve our problem. I will keep you up-to-date. Thank you for your interest.

Kostas_Kourtide
Level 3
By applying 10D our problem has been solved.
Thank you for your support.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Thank you for the update. We are closing this thread now!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Eddy_Yiu
Not applicable
Hi all,

My problem confronted was that the server install with BE had crashed and would like to restore media (total 2 tapes) from another BE installation on another server to a shared location for temporary usage. But the BE keeps returning "An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP-DAT40" Can anyone advise how to enforce catalog and restoration of these tapes from another drive? Thanks in advance....

Kostas_Kourtide
Level 3
Which version do you use? Is it 5629?

Kostas_Kourtide
Level 3
Also if you use a different tape drive check if this is compatible with the version of BE that you use.

I would suggest to use the same BE version and the same tape drive that you used for the backup in order to catalog and restore