cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else have slow write times in BE2012 to iSCSI NAS?

Chz132
Level 2

Hello,

Just curious if anyone out there runs into the same issues as me using an iSCSI NAS as a backup target.

I've run into this in multiple different environments now and am curious if I am missing something.  At one environment, I back everything up to the iSCSI NAS and have duplicate jobs to duplicate everything to a NAS (not iSCSI).  Both of these NAS devices are Buffalo devices.

My write times to the iSCSI NAS are about 1/3 the speed (or worse) than the regular NAS.  If I test write an 8 GB file from the BE server to the iSCSI NAS directly (not using Backup Exec) the file transfers in less than a minute.  It takes 20 minutes to backup this same file with Backup Exec. 

I've also changed the main jobs to run to the regular NAS device instead of the iSCSI device, and it runs the same speed (about 3x faster). 

So my question is has anyone else ran into this and know if there is something within Backup Exec that needs to be changed?  Everything appears configured correctly for the iSCSI NAS outside of Backup Exec as my write times are perfectly fine with Symantec System Recovery and just manually moving files to the iSCSI NAS.

As I said above, this happens in many environments for me, but in this instance this is a Server 2008 R2 server with Backup Exec 2012 SP3.

Thanks,

Ryan

2 REPLIES 2

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

You could try looking over these tech docs and see if they might assist in resolving the issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8326

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70346

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

The Backup Exec Media Server is a physical server or virtual? It is recommended that it is a physical server as with a virtual server the real devices cannot be attached.

One of our trusted advisors had written an article on using iSCSI to backup to NAS through Backup Exec which can be found here