cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had Success Restoring with GRT Yet?

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Anyone had any success restoring using GRT yet since hotfix 11?
8 REPLIES 8

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email header only

Steve_Rick
Level 3
So in other words there hasnt been some kind of work around or interm solution suggested to make this work? A little disapointing. You would have figured some solution would have been worked out by now.

Steve_Rick
Level 3
duplicate

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I agree with Steve, I would have thought that by now, Symantec being aware that hotfix 11 does not resolve the problem of incomplete grt exchange restores or the problem I have still having which is failed duplicate to tape jobs when backing up exchange, that a proper working fix or at the very least a workaround to getting this going would have been released by now.

What burns me the most about this bug and a couple of the others is the fact that in its marketing campaigns this is the one feature Symantec called revolutionary and the selling point of their version 11 release. Most all the new features in which many companies paid to upgrade for are the ones that do not work as advertised and are still not resolved through an available fix and the product has been available nearly four months.

sly_upah
Level 4
I have. When i use GRT to tape, i can still only see about half the mailboxes on the exchange server, but anytime i restore one of those, i get more than just the message header. Attachments, message body, the whole works.

when i backup to disk, anytime i restore from one of the mailboxes that i can also see on the tape, i get the same results. everything restores. When i restore from one that doesn't show up on the tape, only the header shows up.

im working with a support engineer to figure out why this is.Message was edited by:
sly upah

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Finally had a chance to work with this some more this morning myself.

Appears that I can restore individual items that were backed up with GRT such as emails back into the inbox, or sent items. I can not however restore a mailbox back using GRT. If you try and restore a mailbox that has been purged from Exchange it will restore all the folders back into mailbox (such as custom folders: invoices, bills, quotes, licenes) etc. that are stored within the private folders but it will not restore the emails back to these folders. And the job fails every time with an error stating "access is denied", yet this IS the valid exchange backup account, the account will restore individual items to other mailboxes, and this deleted mailbox was initialized before the restore took place, even restoring a mailbox that was not initialized - same thing.

I know these issues have been raised before I am just reiterating what others have already stated.

sly_upah
Level 4
I can't even restore to any other mailbox but the backup services account, and move it to the correct box. When i try to do it the normal way i get "access is denied".

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Sounds like nearly the same thing then. Are you saying you are not able to restore any items to an existing mailbox such as a deleted email or email folder? We had success with that but not restoring to a or to a new mailbox.

This legacy backup method is driving us up the wall with the slow performance for the size of our mail stores. I really wish Symantec would jump on things here.