cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending job

Stunpals
Level 2
I have 2 80/160/ DLT drives and 6 jobs that run daily.

We were running the jobs as follows:
Drive1
Job1
Job2
Job4
Job5
Job6

Drive 2
Job3

Jobs 1,2,4,5,6 accounted for approx 38GB and Job 3 has now larger than a single tape, it needs about 3GB of space to finish (approx 110GB total)
I created a drive pool with both Drive 1 & 2 and set all the above jobs to use this pool knowing that Drive 1 has plenty of room after running all the other jobs.

Problem
Everything goes fine and the larger jobs does wait until drive 1 is avaialbe then continues as expected BUT all the jobs that were on that tape are gone.
I confirmed that Job 3 is set to "Append to media
2 REPLIES 2

Stunpals
Level 2
My end goal if possible is to have all the smaller jobs running consecutively while the larger job is running and then the excess of Job 3 finish on the free space on drive 1 without overwritting the other jobs that ran earlier.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
"Append" only applies to the first tape volume of the backupset.  ALL continuation volumes are treated as Overwrite

Looks like you are out of luck as far as concurrent backups are concerned with your present hardware

You could do B2D on the first five jobs, and then D2T onto the continuation tape.  Should be able to set up a policy to do the D2T part so that it is automatic