Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Errors : BkupExec.exe, version 11.0.7170.64

balcarras
Level 3

Really need some urgent help....

These are some of the event log errors for BackupExec

Faulting application BkupExec.exe, version 11.0.7170.64, 
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 0x000000000006a00c.

Backup Exec Alert: Job Cancellation
(Server: "DB1") (Job: "Duplicate Backup Sets Important Data Only") The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped. 

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 11.0.7170.60, faulting module beserver.exe, version 11.0.7170.60, fault address 0x00000000001f6c48.

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "DB1") (Job: "Daily Backup Network>HDD") Daily Backup Network>HDD -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

We've been having issues since Mid November with backups to disk generally being fine - but linked duplicate jobs crashing part way through the copying process!

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have hotfix 37 & SP 5 installed.
Running on 64bit Server 2003 R2 with 5Gb of RAM.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That is the error message seen lot of times. Please try to repair install of BE and put a \3gb switch in the boot.ini. Also this error sometimes relates to memory leak so please check if it shows anything else in the event viewer.

(Server: "DB1") (Job: "Daily Backup Network>HDD") Daily Backup Network>HDD -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Check the selection details of your selection list and make sure all the things exist that needs to be backed up. ALso make sure your target device is online and configured properly.

balcarras
Level 3

Can you please tell me how to do a repair?

Is this different to Maintenance which runs each night.

Last nights stated:

Summary of database maintenance activity:

* Saved contents of BEDB database

* Optimized BEDB database size from 23.94 MB to 23.94 MB

* Deleted expired data for BEDB database:

1 expired audit logs were deleted

0 expired reports were deleted

4 expired job histories were deleted

4 expired alert histories were deleted

5 expired job logs were deleted

Total elapsed time: 00:00:36

Don't seem to be any errors in event viewer that might suggest it's a memory leak problem...

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

every night it runs the maintenace and does take the backup of your database. You can repair BE either using add remove programs or using the setup cd or setup saved on your hardisk.

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

To perform repair for database please open beutility.exe by going to c-program files-symantec--backupexec dir & run beutility.exe to to do following steps

1. Repair Database
2. Rebuild database Indices
3. Compact Database
4. Age Database
5. Check Database Consistency

Thank You

balcarras
Level 3

Thanks guys.

Repair of DB done.

Repair install also done.

Will advise on Monday if the disk to tape operations has been successful as that is when it fails.

Cheers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The first error message said that your job was cancelled because of an automated response.  Go to Tools --> Alert Categories, remove the automatic response for the media request alert and see what happens.

balcarras
Level 3

Thanks PKH.

I have checked Tools->Alert Categories....

Do you mean Media Insert - there is no automatic response option : the tickable options are:

Enable alerts for this category (greyed out)

Send Notifications (not ticked)

Inc. Job Log (greyed out)

Send SNMP Notifications (greyed out)

Record event in Windows Event Log (ticked)

Automatically clear event after...2 hours - respond with "cancel"

I have cleared the last tick box...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Also check that the BE database maintenance job is not run at the same time as the duplicate job.

balcarras
Level 3

Hi

The BE database maintenance job was set to run at 3am.

Our weekly backup starts off at 11pm and runs over the weekend pulling in the first tape.

At 8am on Monday morning we swap to tape 2 and then in the afternoon normally run in to tape 3.

It should nt clash but I have amended the time anyway to 10.00pm which means it will occur 1 hour before the main backup commences.

Regards.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I changed my DB maintenance time to 12 noon (lunch time) when there is definitely no jobs running.