cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring data from VS80 media to Ultrium 920 media

BadgerPlug1
Level 2

Hello,

As the title states, I need to know how to take backup data from our old 40/80 VS80-model tapes and transfer that information to the 400/800  tapes from our Ultrium 920. If that is possible, I then need to know how to successfully restore files from the data transferred over to those 920 tapes. It seems a simple matter, but I think I may be missing a crucial step somewhere...

Also, we are currently running v. 12.5 for BE on a Windows 2003 server.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

1 The first thing if backup os taken by backupexec s/w on your old 40/80 VS80-model tapes

& now if you want to restore the data from them to new 400/800  tapes then first you will have to check if those old tape are compatible with Ultrium 920 by consulting h/w vendor & if those tape are detected by your device then with backup exec you need to do an inventory & then catalog it & then restore the data

Thank You

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

sSnce your LTO drive will not read VS80 tapes, the only way to do this would be to connect both drives to the same media server, and then duplicate each VS80 tape onto LTO tapes.

You should even be able to Append to take advantage of the LTO tapes' larger capacity

BadgerPlug1
Level 2

Thanks for the quick response! I appreciate your help.

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

Yes as I said first part you will have to check if your old tape are compatible with new h/w by having word with h/w vendor & if yes they are they you can put the tape in see if those tape are detected properly by your new h/w so that you can do inventory & then catalog

Thank You

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

As Ken says, if you have both new and old drives connected, what you need to do is create a new "Duplicate Backup Set job". I think you'll have to duplicate each backup job individualy, so this may be quite time-consuming and labour intensive, depending how many media and backup sets you have.

Once this is done though, you can restore from the Ultrium media in the same way as if you'd backed up to it in the first place.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Sammy,

not what the OP as asking.  He wanted to know how to transfer data from the VS80 tapes to the LTO tapes

And since the installation is not changing (just adding a new drive), there is no reason to inventory or catalog the tapes again

pkh
   VIP    Certified

check if your old tape are compatible with new h/w

You obviously do not understand any of the original post.  He wants to transfer his data from his old tapes to some new tapes.  He is not looking at using his old tapes on the new hardware.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM BEFORE REPLYING!!