cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Hotfix 24 to BE 10 Remote Agents

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Hi,

I have applied SP1 and hotfix 24 against all of my media servers. However when I try to apply the patch to my remote agents following the instruction in the admin guide as the "10.0.5484 Hotfix 24" instructs I do not end up with a properly patched remote agent.

When I look in the c:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec dir on my media servers I can see the updated files. When I look in the RANT32 directory on my remote agent machines I still see the file versions at rev 0.

After applying the patches to my media servers I also tried to push the Remote Agent via "Tools->Install Remote Agents" to a fresh machine. The unpatched version of the agent was installed.

What are the specific steps I need to perform to get all of my remote agent machines up to date?

Shouldn't the "Tools->Install Remote Agents" option on a media server deploy a patched version of the Remote Agent for Windows?

Thanks!

Sean
12 REPLIES 12

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

After installing this Hotfix to the Backup Exec 10.0 media server, do a silent install of Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

Please update us on the result.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Thanks for the reply, but I am still not having any luck.

Here is what I did exactly:

1) I went to my media server where I have applied all available hotfixes, service packs, and patches.

2) Copied the entire directory "c:\progam files\veritas\backup exec\nt\agents\RANT32" to a network location.

3) Copied the entire RANT32 directory local to my remote machine.

4) cd c:\temp\RANT32 and ran setupaa.cmd as detailed in the docs you listed.

I checked the windows event log and the agent was installed succesffuly by MSIinstaller.

I then go to the c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\RANT directory and I see the following files/versions:

beremote.exe -> 10.0.5484.0
bkupexec.exe -> not present
beclass.dll ->10.0.5484.0
bedssps2.dl -> 10.0.5484.0
ndmpcomm.dl -> 10.0.5484.0
ndmpsrvr.dll ->10.0.5484.0

Accroding to the hotfix readme most of these files should be at 10.0.5484.19. Also where is my bkupexec.exe file? It is not present in the directory or on the server at all. Where should this file have file come from?

It would appear that my media server's RANT32 agent directory did not get updated properly as part of the patch/hotfix update process. Is there somewhere where I can download an updated copy of the agent? I have about 20 remote machines vulnerable at this point in time....

Thanks!

Sean Everson

Steve_Cuddy
Level 2
Having the same problem .... any further suggestions from Veritas ?

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Steve,

No answer yet. Still working through options with the forum support staff.

Sean

Paul_Abresch
Level 4
Hi....when I re-installed RAW'S after SP1 and hot fix 24 the files identified are now at 10.0.5484.19 with a 5/16/2005 time stamp

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Hello again,

As a test I installed the remote agent on a fresh box using the files from "c:\progam files\veritas\backup exec\nt\agents\RANT32" on my media server.

The resulting agent install was *NOT* patched. All of the files are at rev 0.

It would appear that my media server's agent directory was not properly updated during the patching/hotfix process.

Is there any place I can get a copy of the updated RANT32 agent?

I have a lot of machines to patch...

Thanks!

Sean

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check whether the dlls on the backup exec server have been updated first as per this technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275514

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Renuk,

My media server is patched and the dll's and such have been updated. It appears that the agents/RANT32 directory is not being updated as part of the hotfix/patch process.

That's the frustrating bit, my media servers are up to date, but I am unable to get any of my remote agent hosts updated.

Sean

Paul_Abresch
Level 4
Hi...Try updating to Veritas build 5520...this build has all the latest patches

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

Re-install your agents after you get to Veritas build 5520....if that doesn't work try uninstalling your existing agents

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

After installing Sp1 and Hotfix 24 on the Media server BEv 10.0 5484 the beremote files version ahsould be 10.0.5484.19.
As you are saying that in case of your scenario it is showing as 10.005484.0 this means that remote agent has not updated properly on the remote server.

-- To troubleshoot this problem manually uninstall remote agent and insatll it in a silent mode as mentioned in our earlier reply:
Refer the following technote to manually uninstall the remote agent.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/232443

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sean_Everson
Level 3
Deepali,

I performed a silent install of the remote agent on a clean box -- one that never had backup exec installed on it before. When I checked the versions of the files they were all still at rev 0.

From this I have concluded that the c:/Program Files/Veritas/Agents/RANT32 directory was NOT updated on my media server during the patch process.

Whether this is a result of my applying the hotfixes incorrectly or due to a bug in your hotfix process I can not say.

At this point in time I am simply concerned with getting a working, up to date copy of the RANT32 directory so that I can get all of remote agents patched.

I am going to try and upgrade my media server to release 5520 as suggested by Paul above. This will have to wait until I have some free time today or tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my results to this forum.

Sean

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Pls keep us intimated about the status of the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.