cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive PST causes backup failure.Can I exclude verify of individual files?

Bob_Baumert
Level 3
We have SBS 2003 and use Backup Exec 10d for Windows Servers
I have our email accounts using Exchange, but I send old emails to an archive PST file located on a mapped network drive.
This file is backed up, but I get a "corrupt won't verify" message from Backup Exec. I think this means the file is changing from the time it is originally backed up until it is attempted to verify.

I've looked but can't seem to find a way to leave the verify option on and exclude individual files. Is there a way to do this?

I've also tried the Advanced Open option thinking this may help, but it seemed to cause problem with the normal Exchange database which is being backed up fine without it.
4 REPLIES 4

jesus_asphalt
Level 4
1. Are you working in a mixed environment? e.g. 2000/2003 servers
2. What's backupexec running on? 2000 or 2003?

Bob_Baumert
Level 3
We run 1 SBS 2003 server and 7 XP Pro desktops. The desktops link to Exchange with Outlook, but Outlook periodically archives to a PST file that sits on a mapped network drive which is physically on the server. It's this archive PST file that won't verify. BackupExec is running on the SBS server.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you've opened the PST file in Outlook and Outlook is still running then the file will be permanently open and therefore unavailable for being backed up properly. Don't know why the AOFO option didn't do the trick for you, but I'd suggest the easiest thing if possible is to make sure that the PST isn't being used when the backup runs.

Is is available for everyone to access, or is it just accessed from the server (or your machine perhaps) for purposes of archiving? If it's the latter, especially if it's running on the server, then perhaps the easiest thing would be to ensure that Outlook has been shutdown each night before the backup runs. Perhaps get a pre-run script setup to kill the outlook.exe process if it's running, which will then kill outlook and therefore sever the link to the PST file, and with it the lock that is causing the problems.

Bob_Baumert
Level 3
Thanks for your ideas. I may just ask everyone to shut down Outlook at the end of each day, but I'm sure that will be hit and miss... but as long as I get a snapshot of the archive pst periodically, we should be all right.

I may revisit the AOFO attempt and post the messages I received for that.

Thanks -- Bob