cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can canced Job be restarted again?

Margots_Kapacs
Level 3
Hi,
I am new to Veritas backup software. At my work there is Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 running with one job set up that backs up our server (SBS 2000). I canceled it to make the changes(problaly not very smart way) in this particular job, but now I cannot find a way to restart it again. I can see it in 'BackUp Selection list' under 'Job Setup' view. Can I make the canceled back up job active again or i have to create an absolutely new back up job to do the same thing?
Thank You.
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you can't see the job listed in 'Jobs' under 'Job Setup' then yes you will need to re-create the job, however since the select list is still there you can still use that.

When you create the new job, within the Selections area, use the drop down menu to select the relevent selection list you want, and that will then populate that part of the job. After that you just need to give it a name, set the schedule, and make any other non-selection related amendments, like Exchange / SQL config, though with any luck they'll already be correct by default.

Margots_Kapacs
Level 3
Thank You Keith Langmead,

I did as you said - recreated new job and populate it with the old job from the job list. I can see the new created Job now under Job Setup, however. After setting the schedule, the job is not running at all( I see that in Job monitoring). It does show that the job is active. I am guessing that I missed something in Schedule setup. I wonder if you could help me. I am setting up to run the backup every working day. I did set Properties->Schedule->Week Days&Day Interval&Time Interfal. In Schedule summary, we have:
Date Effective: This schedule goes into effect on 11-10-06
Time Window: This schedule will run between 11:00pm - 10:59:59pm
Restart Interval: This schedule runs once during the time window.
Does this look OK? Why isn't the job run even if it is active?

If I have to make the changes in properties of the Job it warns us " You cannot edit on acitve Job". How to go about that?

Thank You.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
So within the Job Monitor, Current Jobs, it's showing the job as Active rather than Scheduled? It sounds to me as if the job has started, but for some reason hasn't starting doing anything properly, so it just sitting in an active state. If you right click on the job do you see a cancel option? Is the job showing an Elapsed Time other than None?

I'd suggest cancelling the active job (assuming I'm right above), at which point it should revert to being Scheduled, then see if it runs correctly at the relevant time. If you look in the Alerts section are there any alerts being displayed?

Once the job is back as being Scheduled rather than Active you should be able to make changes to its properties.

Margots_Kapacs
Level 3
Thank You Keith for responding.

In the Job Monitor,Current Jobs,Job Status, it shows Loading Media. When I insert the media it starts to back up the system although in schedule it is set to start no earlier than 11:00pm that day. Than I cancel the job and it goes into Scheduled status. The elapsed time before canceling time is some hours from some point of time

After canceling job and the job being into Scheduled status, I insert the tape and wait. When i come back the tape is out and in Job monitor there is "Please insert overwritable media into the drive...."
One message before is " Overwrite allocated media "4MM000000"
Media Overwrite Protection is configured to overwrite allocated media
Please consult the online help for more information on allocated media"
The last message is sent 32 seconds after 11pm(the time backup is set to start).

Any idea on why the system is not being backed up? How to remove the overwrite protection from the allocated media?

Thank you,
Margots

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does anything at all get written to the tape

Looks like it is overwriting the first tape, then asking for a second

I'd set the Global Overwrite option to "Partial" not "None", then change the OPP (Ovedrwrite Protection Period) of the media set so that the tapes have expired when they are due to be re-used.

For tapes re-used every week on the same day, use 6 day retention, for every other week, use 13 days, etc

Margots_Kapacs
Level 3
Ken Putnam, Thank you for replay,

I am not sure how exactly tell whatever anything at all get written on the tape,but from 'byte count' change in Job Monitor at the time of job being run I get impression that there is something written on the tape. How do I tell it for sure? In 'My Computer' there is no tape drive at which clicking i could see what's in there.

I know how to change the OPP, but I am not sure how to set the Global Overwrite option. How do i do that?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thank You