cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Media.

BCVAN
Level 2

hi does anyone know how to assign Media to Media Sets from Scratch media as a Schedualed job? 

i have to fill in Quick erase, run inventory and then assign a media so it doesn't stay in scratch media. 

cheers

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Its not recommended to initially assign scratch media to any media set.

When you assign tapes to meda set it inherits properties (Overwrite protection and append period)

of the set, so the tape become unavilable for backups. Initially let the tapes be in the scratch media 

set, Backup Exec will pick up tapes as in when required. After backup the tapes will appear in the 

media set which is associated with the backup job.

EDIT: To associate media with any media set you need to right click on the media and

select option "Associate with media set" 

Colin_Weaver

why do you need the erase job - if you set your overwrite protection correctly then the media should be overwritable and should not need an erase ( or inventory job ) to be run.

BCVAN
Level 2

Hi

i do not assign tapes to scratch media, it automatically reads goes to that, i have to manually reassign it to the media set i need. 

ive been doing it to a weeks worth at a time, but is a bit awkward. 

is there a job such as a clear media rather than erase?

AmolB

i do not assign tapes to scratch media, it automatically reads goes to that, i have to manually reassign it to the media set i need

Do not assign tapes to any media sets, let the tapes be in the Scratch Media set itself.

Whenever required BE will pick up the tapes from scratch media set.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

By default when new tapes are added to BE, will be paced in SCRATCH media set. BE will move medias into other media sets as and when required from SCRATCH media set. No need to move media manually. Let the software do that job for you.