cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication failed on connection to server

Steve_Brewer
Level 2
I have a brand new installation of VBE 10.0 and have applied all the available patches to both VBE and Windows server 2003 including SP1. after installation of VBE i was able to create all of my jobs with no problem. upon installation of the server at my clients site, we installed a Seagate Travan tape drive. the system and VBE recognize the tape drive just fine. However when we go to run any of the jobs or even define a new job we receive the above error. the VBE login account is the administrator account of the domain. I have tried creating a new logon account with the same rights and still receive the error. we can run inventory jobs and tape format or label jobs, just not any job that requires access to the file system. Please advise ASAP. Thanks, Steve Brewer
7 REPLIES 7

Marita_Allegre
Level 2
I just upgraded from 9.1 to Version 10.0

I am the LAN Administrator and I accepted that entry during install plus re-entered my LAN Administrator password just to be sure.

Now after a successful upgrade I can't do a backup job because it says my credentials can't be validated.

I even changed the password and confirmed it on that screen but still no luck.

What can I do?

Many Thanks
Marita Allegre

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Is this a local or a remote backup?
- Try a test backup on a Backup-to-disk folder and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steve_Brewer
Level 2
This is a local backup. When I try to create a new job I receive an authentication error when trying to open the selection list.

Marita_Allegre
Level 2
Please delete this message as I called Tech Support and they had me create a new account which fixed the problem.

I don't think this forum is very timely or helpful.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update Marita. Steve, you may try the same solution and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steve_Brewer
Level 2
I did that way before i contacted you. given the SLOW Response on this forum. I elected to uninstall BUExec. during the uninstall process i was forced to terminate the mssql$BUExec service to finish the uninstall. during the reinstall I had to hack the registry to convince the install process that the BU exec MSSQL instance did not exist and re-create it. Now that i finally have the product reinstalled, the BU Exec Server service will not start I receive this error "The Backup Exec Server Service detected a schema version mismatch" immediately followed by internal error (-536813108) After extensive research on this forum the only reference I found was an attempt to change the user that starts all the related backup exec services. Did that to no avail. The only option i see at this time is a reinstall of the OS. I sure hope that this is not the answer... I will be unable to reply to this post until Tuesday July 5th. PLEASE DO NOT Close this thread until i can respond.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the suggestions mentioned in the following technote and verify the results.
Title:
After installing Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers, the Backup Exec Server service fails to start, and Event ID 57802 is logged within the Event Viewer.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275032

Please update us by the 05th July 2005.