cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication to a RAWS authentication failure

jhenry
Level 2
I have a implementation of 11d in a heavily locked down environment, and need some help. One of the remote servers (win 2k3 sp2) has a directory that I want to back up, but the server owner does not want backup exec to be able to view the other folders.

I have created a selection list and can see the remote server. The owner has created a local user account on the remote server for authentication, but it will not authenticate with the user account only having user permissions. I can add the user to "Backup Operators" or "Administrators" and have backup exec authenticate to the server but it has access to all directories on the remote server.

Is there another built-in server 2003 group I can use for backup exec to authenticate to a remote server but only browse the directories that we have given permission too? are there local security policies that we can add the user to for it to be able to authenticate but not see everything on the server?

Both the backup exec and remote servers are running Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2 but are not in the same domain, both servers are in local workgroups.
2 REPLIES 2

jhenry
Level 2
Had a look through some BE doco and found that these local security policies get modified when you install BE 11d:

Logon as a service
Act as part of the operating system
Create a token object
Manage auditing and security log
Backup files and directories
Restore files and directories.

Should I set these for the user account for RAWS as well on the remote server?

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi jhenry

The access account has to be at least a local Administrator on the machine you are backing up. If you place the account in the more restictive group of Backup Operators, it may not have sufficient privleges to complete the backup.

I don't think you can accomplish the restrictions the server owner wants. Even if you stop sharing the drive, a notice pops ups saying that its an administrative share and it will reappear when the server is restarted.