Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Erase of OLD Backups.

BiFo
Level 2

Hi!
Im using Symantec Backup Exec v12.
I have a backup job that runs every Wednesday at 9:00 PM, that store all the backup in a Hard Disk of 250 GBs. It works perfect, but the backup is large (50 Gbs or more) so my disk is strating to fill.
How can i say to the job that, before make the new backup, erase the last one?
or How can i say to the backup job that erase the backup made 4 weeks ago?
Thank you!

Bye.

PD: Sorry for my poor English, im from Argentina.

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

PD: Sorry for my poor English, im from Argentina.  

Your English is MUCH better than my Spanish  Smiley Very Happy

Are these B2D (Backup to Disk) files standard backups or GRT enabled exchange?

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) of the media set that they belong to?  If you want to keep dta for two weeks, set it to 13 days, three weeks, 20 days etc

From Tools\Options\Media Management  make sure that "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before Scratch media" rather than the alternative

BiFo
Level 2

Hi

Whats an "GRT enabled exchange"?

Its a B2D and there are all normal files and its doing a backup of the Storages groups in the exchange server.

Bye!

BiFo
Level 2

Sorry i forgot to ask...

Where can i change the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) option? I couldnt found it :$

The  "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before Scratch media" option was already checked. :)

Byee!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

GRT Granular Restore Technology - The ability to restore individual items from an Exchange Stores backup, rather than needing to restore the entire store.   With v11, GRT backups (IMG folders on the B2D folder) would NOT overwrite until the disk was full.  A design decision, that IMNSHO was incredibly stupid.   I've heard here that v12 supposedly corrected that, but obviuosly don't have any first hand experience

to Change the properties of  a media set:

Media Tab, right click the media set\Properties

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-02-2008 12:59 PM