cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically insert media

Network2011
Level 3

Hello All,

I need some help here.  when we start a backup the tape automatically ejects? It would be great if backup exec had a feature to click a button to make the tape insert, do any of you know of such a feature? Or does it take a human to put the tape back in? Also do you know why a tape would eject when the backup starts? This has been going on for a while but needs to be fixed as these are remote locations around the world and no one is in the office when the backups kick off?

THX with any info you can share!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite?

Which means any media which used with that media set will never become overwritable. You have to change it as per your retension requirements.

For now you can aasociate that media with Scratch Media before running the job.

Also chane the OPP of media set. If you want the backups to be retained for 5 days, set the OPP of 5 days and also note that OPP will be counted from the time last write happened to the media.

Regards....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media has to be inserted into the standalone tape drive manually. If you don't want to do go for a tape library.

If the media which is prensent in drive is not usable for writing backup job (Not overwritable/Appendable) then BE will eject that and prompts to insert an overwritable media.

Regards....

Network2011
Level 3

The media is setup as "When this job begins"  OVERWRITE Media 

there is no security on the tape either. "Encryption key" = NONE.

Tape is not locked from writing to tape? This is weird, Any other ideas?

THANSK!!! for your quick response!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Set the Global overwrite Protection to Partial or Full (Tools\Options\Media Management)  I've seen some strage things when it is set to None

For the media set involved, if you are sure that you always want to overwrite, no matter what, set the OPP to 1 hr

See what happens and report back

Network2011
Level 3

Set the Global overwrite Protection to Partial or Full (Tools\Options\Media Management) ? I checked this option and see that we have the setting as "Partial - protect only allocated media"

One thing that hit me when i check the location (Tools\Options) under job defaults\Device and media "Media set" = Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite?  Would this cause the tape to eject?

Thanks for all your HELP!!!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite?

Which means any media which used with that media set will never become overwritable. You have to change it as per your retension requirements.

For now you can aasociate that media with Scratch Media before running the job.

Also chane the OPP of media set. If you want the backups to be retained for 5 days, set the OPP of 5 days and also note that OPP will be counted from the time last write happened to the media.

Regards....

Network2011
Level 3

The OPP = Overwrite Protection Period = 1 hours

Append Period = Infinite - Allow append

I will change the Defualt device and media set to our rention & keep you all posted!

Thanks for all you HELP!

I am new to backup exec but am learning a lot in my 3 days of working with the product. I have to fix a lot of missed backup issues. I am very well versed with troubleshooting so this should be just like any other product!

Network2011
Level 3

Hello All, I found the problem for this backup that kept ejecting the tape. It was the tape was in the correct media set location. I found the tape in the Media tab   = Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite instead of the scratch or media set location. All is well! Thanks to symantec support whom i had to open a call with!