cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating responses

drintl
Not applicable
Greetings

Every day we get two messages when our backup job runs...

'Overwriting allocated media '**000001'
'Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK'

We want to automate the responses to these, so that we don't have to always click OK. If we forget to do that, the tape job won't run.

I found this document (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm) and tried to implement it, but it didn't work. It seems like a very good solution but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What version and build are you running?

For the first problem. If you are re-using the same tape on teh same day every week or every other week, change the OverwriteProtectionPeriod of the media set(s) so that the tape has expired when it is due to be reused.

For weeklies, I generally use 5 days,. for bi-weeklies 12 days.

As for the response to the "Remove Media", I've never had any problems withb v8.0/v8.5/v8.6 using the registry tweaks

You could always change the job to remove Eject-on-End and eject manually when you swap tapes

kimtas
Not applicable
I too am having problems with this alert.

I have done the following.

1) Stopped all Backup Exec Services.

2) In the registry, have created a new key called "Alerts" under VERITAS/Adamm.

3) Created a new DWORD Value with the name "Remove Media Timeout"

4) Made the Value Data "0" (no timeout? This means it responds to the alert straight away, right?)

4) I cannot change the base from Hexidecimal to Decimal (it always reverts back to Hexidecimal).

5) Started Backup Exec Services.

The procedure is slightly different from the Veritas Support article. I guess the article was written for Windows NT and not 2k?

Anyway, I still get the Operator Attention alerts to remove the media from the drive... any ideas?

Kim