cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D Overwrite

Kevin_Kang
Level 2
Hello.

I created a 2 TB B2D folder for my Email backup.
My Email database size is about 200 GB.
If I set Media Overwrite Protection Period to "0 Hours", I know it will write to disk until it filled the available disk space.
When it uses all disk spaces, will it overwrite to olderest backup set? or overwrite to any backup set.

Thanks

Kevin Kang
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
SHOULD overwrite the oldest first

With a 2TB folder an average of 200GB you have room for ~10 backups, so try setting the OPP to 8 days rather than 0 hours.

Kevin_Kang
Level 2
Thanks.
8 Days is current setting but I do not want to have backup fail because lack of space.
If it uses oldest backup set first, I will never have backup fail because of disk space problem.

Ken_Mahren
Level 4
You did not specify if your using compression on your B2D folder. If so the 200Gb backup might be quite a bit smaller, so you would not need 2TB for all that backup. But since I'm trying to figure out how to allocate B2D folders and sizes and number of "sets" per B2D file myself, I am in a bit of a blur on this also. My plan is to backup each night to a individual B2D file, give it overwrite protection for a week, so I have 7 days of exchange data backed up and then overwrite the oldest. After reading through some volumous tech notes here, it *seems* that the way to do this is to create a B2D device with a max size big enough to store each nights backup (compressed) with 1 set for each file. Set the overwrite protection to 1 week and no incrementals.

I have just set this up, so I have no idea if this is what I'm looking for, so any info would be appreciated.

yours,
Ken