cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D backup on tape

prakash_gm
Level 3
Partner

I have taken a manual backup of all the .bkf files on to tape. to free up some space on the local drive of the server. Now all the the .bkf files are on tape.

Now my question is, if I get a restore request for the same data which was on B2D, how can i restore the same from the tape(Because all the .bkf files are on tape now)?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

wmheid
Level 4

You would have to restore the backup to disk files back to the disk and then do the restore.

Have you thought about Duplicate Backup Sets jobs and duplicating your media to tape?

prakash_gm
Level 3
Partner

Its a one time job, the B2D is no more using, it has some old data which needs to be kept for a longer period. Now can I create a new one time Duplicate job for the same?

If so, could you let me know, how can I set up the duplicate backup sets for that backup?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Prakash,

You shouldn't backup b2d files as like normal files.

Create duplicate backup job to backup existing backup sets.

Right click in Job setup window and click on New Duplicate job and select To duplicate existing backup sets radio button in the following window and choose the backup sets which you want to duplicate to tape.

Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23014

Regards... 

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What Kiran said is absolutely right. You should not be backing the .bkf files to the tapes instead use the duplicate job method. But now that you have done that and need to perform the restore, follow the steps given below:

1) Restore all the .bkf files to a folder (let this be a different folder and not the origianl one)

2) Then create a new Backup To Disk folder in Backup Exec and during its creation point it to this folder where the .bkf files are restored

3) Ones the B2D folder is created run an Inventory Job on it which will show all the .bkf files in Backup Exec

4) Then run the Catalog job on the .bkf files and ones that is completed your data will be available for restore.

Note: You may face problems during the restore if data from any one .bkf file is not properly restored or is missing. So please use the Duplicate job method in future.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I see you posted twice - suggest you read my comments in your other thread about exactly why you should use duplicate jobs.