cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D backups failing with Final error: 0xe00084ca - Event ID: 57612 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Marco199
Level 4

We have recently started to experience backup errors of our main weekly and monthly full backups (we use about six Samsung M3 drives... I realise that these drives aren't officially supported but we've been using them for almost a year without any major issues such as what we are currently experiencing).

During the verify job, this error occurs before terminating: "An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in MONTHLY Jan-Apr. V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent".

I have used a different USB hard drive (different make and model) and the same backup job ran fine.

I noticed that the drive policy in Device manager was set for "quick removal" as opposed to "better performance". I will change that later once the full format has finished on that drive.

We run Backupexec 2010 R3 with all the latest updates.

Many thanks for your help in solving this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

we use about six Samsung M3 drives... I realise that these drives aren't officially supported but we've been using them for almost a year without any major issues such as what we are currently experiencing.

Support for disk drives has a different policy than most devices.  Therefore, your drives are probably supportable and should work.  I would suggest confirming functionality with http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

From the HCL:

For this basic support, any device recognized and supported by the Windows platform should work with Backup Exec. Mapped network drives are not supported. UNC paths are supported. The disk devices listed in these two sections have been tested with Backup Exec as a result of a formal joint business agreement and OEM relationship, but are not intended to be a complete list of compatible devices.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Marco,

it suggests that there is some corruption with the drives that are being used.

Try formatting the drives and see if that helps. Also you can try to check with new drive.

Regards,

-Sush...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

we use about six Samsung M3 drives... I realise that these drives aren't officially supported but we've been using them for almost a year without any major issues such as what we are currently experiencing.

Support for disk drives has a different policy than most devices.  Therefore, your drives are probably supportable and should work.  I would suggest confirming functionality with http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107

From the HCL:

For this basic support, any device recognized and supported by the Windows platform should work with Backup Exec. Mapped network drives are not supported. UNC paths are supported. The disk devices listed in these two sections have been tested with Backup Exec as a result of a formal joint business agreement and OEM relationship, but are not intended to be a complete list of compatible devices.