cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media inconsistency errors over firewall

kkoehnvmp
Level 1

I am in the process of trialing BE16 and, for the most part, all is going well.  However I've encountered a situation where I have a group of servers hosted in our DMZ that are failing with errors stating that there are media inconsistency errors.  The exact error varies depending on the time of day but generally E00084CA or E00084F9.  The response in the job is V-79-57344-33997 and V-79-57344-33994, both are 'The data being read from the media is inconsistent'.  I have tried to recreate the jobs individually and experienced the same problem.  The systems being backed up are a HyperV host (2012R2), Win 2012R2 agent and Windows 2016 agent.  

The agents communicate without issue but do seem to take a while to do credential checks but do succeed.  The firewall data is passing through is a Cisco ASA5515 and the following firewall rules are opened up both ways:

• TCP 10000
  • TCP 2000-2060 (I've set predefined ports)
  • TCP 3527
  • TCP 6101
  • TCP 6103
  • TCP 6103

Event logs do show two different IDs, three messages:

• 57601 - An error occurred in tape data translation while positioning to begin a backup operation on device XXX.
  • 34113 - Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
    (Server: "servername") (Job: "jobname) servername-WeeklyFull -- The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the Agent for Windows.
  • 34113 - Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
    (Server: "servername") (Job: "jobname) servername-WeeklyFull -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Chats with support have yielded nothing but 'check your tapes, they're bad'.  I can't believe that every single tape my library is pulling is bad or that the drives have problems.  I have at least 10-15 other jobs that run daily without issue.

Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you please attach one of the job log of failed backup job?