cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D confusion

PcSysAdmin
Level 4

I've read through a number of other people's posts, but still haven't found the same issue I'm running into...

I have a B2D situation where it doesn't create new bkf files even though a Disk Space Reserve is set, and the "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set" option is set.  What's strange is I experimented thinking perhaps it needs to know not to overwrite longer period, but that just makes it claim there is no free space even though the disk space reserve is 290GB.. and the free space on the drive is still on 220GB..

Part of what doesn't make sense to me  is where it just comes up with a number of bkf files it wants to create.. I've erased the virtual media and then even removed the b2d folder from BE, and then went into the folder and wiped the cfg and bkf files.. to start from scratch again.. Setup the new B2D folder and eventually it runs into the same situation.. It just decides to not make anymore bkf files with the "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available" option set. 

It's like it creates the bkf files on the first time it runs the job.. but then later decides it can't create anymore so it better overwrite if possible..  Ken Putnam has written some pretty extensive responses to people's issues, but I'm not seeing where they are having this issue.. Unlike most of them, I can't get it to fill up my drives.. Man Very Happy

Anybody have ideas on what I'm doing wrong?  (besides my typing/grammar?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PcSysAdmin
Level 4

Okay.. So maybe I'm crazy.. or perhaps they should rephrase the "Disk Space Reserve" to "Disk Free Space Reserve".. My assumption was that the "Disk Space Reserve" was the amount of space your B2D files were allowed to take up total on the drive.  So I had it completely backwards to what I wanted it to do..

I just checked on the "Help" documentation and nowhere does it fully explain that it is referring to "Free space" instead it only mentions "when the threshold you specify is reached".. Depending on your perspective this could mean different things..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PcSysAdmin
Level 4

Okay.. So maybe I'm crazy.. or perhaps they should rephrase the "Disk Space Reserve" to "Disk Free Space Reserve".. My assumption was that the "Disk Space Reserve" was the amount of space your B2D files were allowed to take up total on the drive.  So I had it completely backwards to what I wanted it to do..

I just checked on the "Help" documentation and nowhere does it fully explain that it is referring to "Free space" instead it only mentions "when the threshold you specify is reached".. Depending on your perspective this could mean different things..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Don't feel too bad

This comes up quite often here, and has ever since v9 when B2D was introduced by Veritas

hotema
Not applicable
Yep, I was assuming the same thing when trying to figure this out... @#$%!