cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D questions

Wyman_Chong
Level 3
Hi,
 I am currently testing B2D on a small disk partition (200GB) before actually using it on 3 5TB partitions and I have a few questions..

Current config:
B2D partition that is 200GB
Maximum-size for backup to disk files: 20GB
Allocate the max size for backup to disk files: Yes
Disk space reserve: 10GB

Questions:
I started several backups to attempt filling up the drive to confirm I won't run into any issues and have noticed that the system paused after creating the 10th .bkf file as it did not have enough space to create it. Clicking on the .bkf files I see that they are not filled. i.e, one had only 16kb of used capacity and 20.GB available capacity. Why is BE creating new .BKF files even though there is still space available in the previously created .bkf files?

What do I need to do to stop it from doing this?

Thanks

WYman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to be careful with Append and disk backups. 

ALL the bkf files associated with a single backup set are governed by the same OPP date, and it is reset each time a BKF file is closed.   This means that if all jobs append, NONE of the BKF files will ever expire

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Try turning off the "Allocate maximum size for backup to disk files" and also drop the max size back to 1gb.

You state you have the partition at 200 GB, but a 10GB reserve.  That leaves 190GB for B2D to use, not counting any other folders or data which is eating into that 190GB of space.  You ave 9 allocated files at 20GB each, and as you noted it pasued because it did not have enough space to create the tenth one (since it only has 190GB and not 200GB)

Make the changes suggested and it should be resolved.

Wyman_Chong
Level 3
Hi,
  I turned on the "Allocate max size for backup to disk files" option to prevent fragmentation will this be an issue later once I start using the larger partition? Also, wouldn't setting the max file size to 1GB be a bit inneficient once I go to the 5TB partition as I will have 5000 bkf files.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Sorry, I meant to reset it to 4gb (the default)

Make sure your append setting (under media set properties) is allowing the file to be appended to.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to be careful with Append and disk backups. 

ALL the bkf files associated with a single backup set are governed by the same OPP date, and it is reset each time a BKF file is closed.   This means that if all jobs append, NONE of the BKF files will ever expire