cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP HYPER-V VM with SBS2011 and Exchange fail. V-79-57344-34070

RobRodrigues
Level 4

Hi all.

I do have a job in BE 15 wich backups all my VM from my Windows Hyper-v Cluster.

All was working until the BE starts to give an error on one specific VM wich is a Small Business 2011 with exchenage 2010.

I think the issue is related with a name change of the exchange database, on wich i had done a move malbox users from original database to a new one to clean up old stuff and problably some garbage records.

The error when the job to back up all vms is:

Final error: 0xe0008516 - The database specified for the snapshot was not backed up because the database was not mounted.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- srvhvcl.clandeiro.localV-79-57344-34070 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\srvhvcl.clandeiro.local\Hyper-V?HA?VM\SRVSBS01". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0008516): The database specified for the snapshot was not backed up because the database was not mounted.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

If i do a test to this job it works, if i do a test credentials it also works and if i do a simple backup job only Information store database of exchange it also works.

If i login to the VM and do the vssadmin list writers all of them respond with no errors.

The only thing was the change of the exchange database but everyone is happy and working and also the backup exange only also works. Not the full Hyper-v VM jobs.

Is there anywhere else i need to update the name of the database to recognized by the Hyper-v job????

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried recreating the complete job from scratch as the job config may have a record of the old database that can no longer be seen in the "tree' view of the selections

OR

Check the details view of the backup selections in the job, it may in effect have a reference to both the old and the new database in it and you can then delete the incorrect one (or delete both and then go back to the tree view to reselect if there are 2 entries but it is not clear enough which is correct)

View solution in original post

The issue as fast as it started also got away.

Like i said before:

I managed to create a new job with only that VM and it went ok.

In the old job, i removed the messy VM, and executed the job without it and also it worked.

So finally i add the messy VM again to the old job and all is fine now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Have you tried recreating the complete job from scratch as the job config may have a record of the old database that can no longer be seen in the "tree' view of the selections

OR

Check the details view of the backup selections in the job, it may in effect have a reference to both the old and the new database in it and you can then delete the incorrect one (or delete both and then go back to the tree view to reselect if there are 2 entries but it is not clear enough which is correct)

This is a HYPER-V backup job.

I can select Virtual Machines, not resorces of those Virtual Machines like exchange on SBS 2001 VM, or SQL Server on the SQL VM....

I believe that your idea doesn't apply to this issue.

Recreating the job will make loose all info and history and i can't afford that because of audit info.

Grabbing the idea of recreating the job completely i create a new job on the Hyper-v HA for that VM and it's working fine so far.

It it works ok, i will try going to the old job removing the VM from the selections save it and then add it again.

Best regards,

Colin_Weaver

You dont have to delete the job if you need to maintain job logs etc for audit history just put it in hold (and posibly rename it so it is obvious why it is on hold)

The issue as fast as it started also got away.

Like i said before:

I managed to create a new job with only that VM and it went ok.

In the old job, i removed the messy VM, and executed the job without it and also it worked.

So finally i add the messy VM again to the old job and all is fine now.