cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10.0d - can/how to backup Netware 4.11

Eric_Gunderson
Level 2
I have one old Netware 4.11 server that I still need to keep. The agent from BE 10 doesn't load on it. It hangs at the DSBACKER nlm. The server keeps running, but my media server can't see it.

Is there any way for BE 10.0d to continue to backup this old 4.11 server? If, not, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric Gunderson
4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited
Well, 4.11 is no longer supported by Novell or Symantec so I'm not sure this will work..

What error message do you see on the server console when DSBACKER attempts to load? Also, do you have IP enabled on this server? You need this otherwise the remote agent will not be able to communicate with your windows media server.

Eric_Gunderson
Level 2
There is no error message. DSBACKER just doesn't finish loading and the Novell console is not accessable any longer. I have to power the server down to regain control.

No, I don't have IP enabled, its IPX only.

It seems as though it's just too old to work anymore.

I may have to look at finding a disk-to-disk solution for this 4.11 server and then just backup the files from the Windows server via BE. Any thoughts on a solution that could do this?

criley
Employee Accredited
Not sure about that I'm afraid.

You will have to enable IP to get BE working anyway. As for the DSBACKER problem...this appears to be the latest version available for 4.x which might be worth trying:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2962054.htm

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the SCL for Backup Exec v10d mentioned below :

Symantec Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278254

Netware 4.11 is not listed in the list. As it is not compatible, Backup Exec will not function with it.

Regards

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.