cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10.1 - finishes backing up data then requests insertion of media

Ali_MacKenzie
Level 3
Hello chaps,

You've probably had this one many times before, so apologies in advance (I have searched the knowledge base, without success).

Basically, one of our remote sites has a server running BE 10.1 - it is only backing up about 18Gb of data, however, once it has reached the 18Gb threshold it then flashes up an alert requesting the insertion of media. The only option from hereon is to cancel the job.The tapes it is using are more than spacious enough, so why is it doing this? I should also point out that it was also doing this whilst running 9.1, I was hoping that upgrading to the new version would resolve the problem - it hasn't.

Any ideas/pointers very gratefully received!
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Are you sure the tape is spacious enough?

Three reasons this may be happening

1.) The 18GB is being appended (added on to) data that is already on tape, and the tape is full.
2.) The tape is old, has many hard write errors, and data is being constantly re-written several times to compensate, resulting in less than true capacity.
3.) You are incorrect about the tape or tape drive capacity. Some people incorrectly identify the tape capacity as the rated compressed capacity (usually 2x the native capacity) which is rarely achived.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Ali!

Twice the native capacity of a media is usually given as the maximum possible amount of data that could be written to a tape. It should be noted that this figure is rarely achieved.

This is due to the varied types of data that are found in most environments.

Each data type has its own compression ratio, and therefore, there is no standard achievable for the total compression ratio that results.

Have you checked the "Enable hardware compression" option?

Please update us on this.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Swati Joshi