cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d Compression Ratios

Kenneth_Sheppar
Level 5
I'm in the process of implementing BE 10d to my servers and I need to know how much drive space I'll need in my disk array for the B2D functions. My LTO3 drive will backup server O/S, SQL, Exchange data and I'll be using the B2D and the web-based file retrieval for the users data. My current data size for the users data is about 50Gb. If I backup these files several times per day, what is the expected compression ratio that I'll get with 10d for the web retrieval portion?

I know this is somewhat of a guess, but I just need a ballpark answer.

Thanks.

Ken
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
totally depends on your data.

I usually figure on about 1.3:1 until a particular job has run several times and I can take an average.

You can try doing several tape backups specifying Software Only and take an average of them.

Kenneth_Sheppar
Level 5
Thanks for your reply, Ken. When you say 1.3:1 are you speaking of to tape or to disk? My understanding of the way the new web file retrieval works is that you do a B2D and IIS points to that data. If so, how is it compressed if any? I currently use the standard Microsoft shadow copies, but I know with 10d I'll have much more control. The shadow copies do compress quite well.

Ken

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Software compression is software compression, no matter what the target device is. The compression algorithms don't change.

So if you do a couple or three tape backups (or disk backups) and then average them, you can multiply by the number of backupsets that you want to retain online to arrive at how much disk space you will need.

Kenneth_Sheppar
Level 5
Thanks again. I guess I'm getting myself confused between simple B2D functions and the Continuous Protect Server portions. I'm really more interested in knowing the CPS space requirements for my data files that the users will retrieve via the web interface. I know it works much like shadow copies in 2003 Server, but you have much more control. But how much space does a typical install of CPS require? I have an external Dell PowerVault 220s with 300GB of free space. My data files total about 50GB at this point. Basically, how well does the CPS compress the data?

Sorry about the confusion in my question.

Ken

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the admin guide:

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/279483.pdf

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.