cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11D - E2K7 - Restore individual emails

Dave_Rutz
Level 3

Backup Exec 11D (7170 – SP4 & HF 37) on Windows 2003 (32-bit).

Exchange 2007 SP1 on Windows 2008 (64-bit)

Backup with GRT completes successfully.

I'm trying to restore a single email from a user's mailbox to ensure that GRT worked. When expanding "Microsoft Information Store - First Storage Group - Backup instance - Mailbox Database", I don't see any individual mailboxes to choose from...

- Backup to tape. Backup to disk is not an option for now.

- BE configured for individual mail and folder restoration.

- Unique domain backup account with all required memberships and rights (Built-in Administrators, Domain Admin, Exchange Organization Administrators, Exchange Domain Servers).

- Storage groups (Mailbox & Public) are in a specific folder on a separate partition. System, Network Service, Domain Admins and the backup account (among others) have Full Control on the folder and files within.

Any ideas?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Anup
Level 6
Certified

You said exchange is on 2008 , and using 11d

but 11d does not support windows 2008.

Windows 2008 is supported by 12 and 12.5

How come you are able to backup?

Try to backup the exchange from Domains->Active directory domains-> Exchange Server

Dave_Rutz
Level 3

Symantec hasn’t officially announced that 11d is supported on Windows 2008 but there are plenty of knowledge base documents that have Hot Fixes and solutions for 11d on 2008. Even the download section has files for 11d on 2008 (32 and 64-bit). I haven’t upgraded to 12 because of state government budget cuts and a possible job loss. Therefore, I have to make 11d work on 2008, which doesn’t seem impossible…

Regardless of what I mentioned above, I’m running BE 11d SP4 on a 32-bit Windows 2003 SP2 domain member server, which is a supported scenario. Exchange 2007 is running on a 64-bit Windows 2008 SP1 domain member server. The 64-bit remote agent is installed on this server and the only things backed up are the Information Store and log files. Nothing pertaining to Windows 2008, i.e. System State, is backed up.

When creating the backup job, the Exchange source selection was done via “All Resources – Domains – Microsoft Windows Network – Domain nameServer name – …”. The GRT backup completes successfully but individual mailboxes are not visible when attempting a restore. The same thing happens if I select the source as “All Resources – Domains – Active Directory Domains – Domain.extServer.domain.ext – …”.

Thanks

Anup
Level 6
Certified

I checked the Software compatibility again to see if it is update but it still does not list windows 2008

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286600.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Symantec hasn’t officially announced that 11d is supported on Windows 2008 but there are plenty of knowledge base documents that have Hot Fixes and solutions for 11d on 2008. Even the download section has files for 11d on 2008 (32 and 64-bit). 

Oh really?

The last HotFix for v11d is v7170-HF54  If you go to the 64-bit download for HF54, Windows 2008 is not mentioned  in the OS section

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311834.htm

As for your correction, the Remote Agent is not supported on W2K8 either.  XP and Vista are, but not 2WK8

Therefore, I have to make 11d work on 2008, which doesn’t seem impossible 

Good Luck with that, and I really do mean it

Dave_Rutz
Level 3

Maybe I should have worded things differently...

BE 11d SP4 is installed on Windows 2003 SP2 and it supports backing up Exchange 2007 SP1 installed on Windows 2008 SP1, at least with my infrastructure and configuration. It also supports backing up the System State of my two W2K8 SP1 domain controllers and the user files that are also located on them. The remote agents have been pushed to all of the servers from BE 11d and I have also done a local install of the agent on the E2K7 server while troubleshooting. Whether or not this is officially supported by Symantec is not really relevant; it works. The Information Store backups complete successfully, I just can't do a mailbox-level restore...

Message Edited by Dave Rutz on 02-10-2009 07:57 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Maybe I should have worded things differently...

BE 11d SP4 is installed on Windows 2003 SP2 and it supports backing up Exchange 2007 SP1 installed on Windows 2008 SP1, at least with my infrastructure and configuration. It also supports backing up the System State of my two W2K8 SP1 domain controllers and the user files that are also located on them. The remote agents have been pushed to all of the servers from BE 11d and I have also done a local install of the agent on the E2K7 server while troubleshooting. Whether or not this is officially supported by Symantec is not really relevant; it works. The Information Store backups complete successfully, I just can't do a mailbox-level restore...

The fact that you can install the agent on W2K8 is beside the point.  It is an unsupported configuration, and as you have discovered, it may or may not do what you want it to

I understand budgets are tight, but whoever authorized the upgrade to W2K8 should have verified that no other software needed to  be upgraded at the same time.  At this point all you can do is tell them that if they want backups that they can restore from the HAVE to upgrade to v12.0 minimum

Either that or fall back on the Legacy method with it's (much) longer required time window and restore problems

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-12-2009 08:42 AM

Dave_Rutz
Level 3
It's been a while since any comment has been posted.

Just an update:
BE 11d Rev. 7170 with HF 37, 62, 63, 65, 69 & SP4 running on W2003 SP2 (with all updates)
Exchange 2007 SP1 (with all updates) on W2008 SP1 (with all updates except SP2)

Works great and brick level email restores are possible.

Thanks all for your help and comments.