cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d: AOFO Cache File Won't Delete

THarrison
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 11d installed on a Win2003 Std. server.  All backups are running well except one.  The backup is of an older Windows 2000 Server Edition domain controller.  I noticed the backups started failing recently and the disk space fell through the floor.  I found a 14GB file named "_BEVspCacheFile_11.VSP" in the C:\Backup Exec AOFO Store folder.  I did some research and quickly found that this is the AOFO cache file and that Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (which is currently installed) could cause problems if the folder and *.vsp files aren't excluded from scans and file protection.  I excluded those items and rebooted the server (as per instructions found online) to remove the file.

Needless to say, the file is still there.  I have rebooted 4 times since the last modified date of that file and cannot get rid of it.  I have found problems with people simply attempting to delete the file manually since I've heard the kernel itself has that file in use.

Is there anything else I should check?  Any other reasons (besides the Norton issue) that would cause that file to not get deleted after a reboot?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
2 REPLIES 2

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi THarrison,

The Advanced Open File Option's Cache File will not clear after a backup completes if Single Instance Storage (SIS) is installed on a Windows 2000 or 2003 Server and the latest SIS Patch has not been applied. To resolve this issue, either obtain the SIS Patch from Microsoft or remove Single Instant Storage from the machine per the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles 820622 or 299873.

The Advanced Open File Option's Cache File does not clear after a backup completes.

Regards,
harmstrong
Symantec

THarrison
Level 2
  1. Is there any way to determine if I have SIS installed at all?  I don't recall installing it if it was an option...
  2. If I do have it installed, and I apply the hotfix, will the file then clear itself after reboot?  What if it doesn't?