cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 Remote Agent problems

Jamie_Kelahan
Level 3
I back up a single server running Backup Exec 12.5.  The remote agent crashes every couple of days and I have to reboot the server (twice) in order to fix the problems and get the backups running again.  Windows 2003 SP2, backing up to disk.  Here's a typical run down of what happens:

Monday, 11:00 PM - Backup starts
Monday, ~11:20 PM - Backup completes successfully
Tuesday, 11:00 PM - Backup starts
Tuesday, ~11:20 PM - Backup completes successfully
Wednesday, 11:00 PM - Backup starts
Wednesday, 11:01 PM - Backup fails with "The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer."  The Remote Agent service is in a stopped state.  If I restart the Remote Agent service and attempt to run a backup again, it will crash again.
Wednesday, 11:08 PM - Initiate server reboot
Wednesday, 11:15 PM - Sign on to server.  Windows error message: "Backup Exec Remote Agent encountered an error and needs to close."  The thing with this message is that the time of the error is reported as being some time when there was nothing going on with BE, for example, this time it happened at 8:34:21 AM.  Check the BE services and the Remote Agent is not started.  Again, if I attempt to manually start the service, the next backup (manual or scheduled will fail again).
Wednesday, 11:20 PM - Initiate server reboot
Wednesday, 11:30 PM - Sign on to server.  No error messages.  All BE services running.  Manual backup will run successfully, or next scheduled backup (Thursday, 11:00 PM) will finish successfully.

This is the typical pattern - 2 successful backups, then I have to do the reboots in order to get it running correctly again.

I initially thought this problem was due to moving from 12.0 to 12.5.  After running the 12.5 install (multiple times), when I went to Help, About, it would still say my version was 12.0.x.  I uninstalled, installed 12.5, copied over my catalogs, etc. and the Help, About thing was fixed, however was still getting the Remote Agent crash every couple of days.  Finally, I uninstalled everything, deleted folders, registry entries, etc, did a fresh install, didn't copy anything over, set up new jobs, new B2D folders, etc.  Still the same problems.

I have looked through the support site for answers, but am at wits end here.  I have tried everything I can think of and every answer I can find.  I am seeing this error in my Domino Console: 'Process C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\belnapi.exe has terminated abnormally."  However, Doc ID 301510 says that is not a problem.  I am running Symantec Endpoint Security and have found some documents involving conflicts, but all those conflicts seem to be resolved by updating SEP to MR2, MR3 or MR4 (I am running MR4).

I am at wits end here as I just don't know what else to try.  Any help would be much appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0