cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 Tape appending over multiple jobs

JasonRoss
Level 2

Hey guys,

Firstly - apologies if this information is already here somewhere, I can find lots on tape appending but nothing that applies to my problem.

I am having trouble with my weekly jobs not appending to tapes properly.  The weekly jobs are created from a weekly 'policy' there are 5 jobs that run off this policy and I import 7x LTO4 tapes.  Eventually there are a couple of jobs that sit there saying 'please insert overwritable media' however there are multiple tapes that are only between 5% and 80% full.  I wonder if there is some sort of limitation that only allows me to append to a tape with the same job? I haven't found such a limitation documented anywhere.

The media sets are configured to 'Infinite - allow append'
The policy is configured to 'Append to media, overite if no appendable media is available'

It's becoming a problem because I am throwing loads of new tapes into my rotations - they are quite expensive :)

Environment details:

- Backup exec 12.5 service pack 3.
- 4x Media servers with centralised server option/SAN shared storage.
- connected to IBM TS3310 library.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that BE will only append to the first tape.  For the second and subsequent tapes, it will need an overwriteable tape.  So even if there are appendable tapes, it will request for an overwriteable tape.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that BE will only append to the first tape.  For the second and subsequent tapes, it will need an overwriteable tape.  So even if there are appendable tapes, it will request for an overwriteable tape.

JasonRoss
Level 2
OK,  I wondered if it was something simple like that.

Thanks for the lightening fast response.

Jason.