cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 job on tape canceled or failed

Jens_BE
Level 3
I have two daily jobs, one to disk one to tape. The one to disk works just fine, the one to tape gives me a hard time.

I get two kind or errors, sometimes the job gets canceled with this error:
Backup- C:
Media mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

Or the job fails with this error:
Verify- E: Data
Storage device "CERTANCE 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media. Error reported: A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. V-79-57344-33991 - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

About 1 out of every 10 jobs is succesful. I tried a cleaning tape, adjusting the amount of data to be backupped, I checked the login credentials (for the first error), recreated the job, used new tapes,...
If the job is succesful it's always on different tapes and different days, no patern there.
Don't really know what else to try.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The 1st thing you should check is that the tape drive is using the latest Symantec drivers . Make sure the tape drive is not connected to a Raid controller card . It should be going to a seprate SCSI card and the tape drive should be connected to SCSI ID 0 and 1 .Before runnign the Job make sure you inventory ont he tape . Check if there is any error reported int he event log like 9, 11 or 15 as thery are errors related to hardware .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The 1st thing you should check is that the tape drive is using the latest Symantec drivers . Make sure the tape drive is not connected to a Raid controller card . It should be going to a seprate SCSI card and the tape drive should be connected to SCSI ID 0 and 1 .Before runnign the Job make sure you inventory ont he tape . Check if there is any error reported int he event log like 9, 11 or 15 as thery are errors related to hardware .

Jens_BE
Level 3
The tape drive is the only scsi device attached. I updated the drivers, when they start working I'll aks them to put in a new tape to perform a test.
The inventory before the job is something I allready tried.
No 9,11 or 15 errors in the event viewer.

Ah and something worth mentioning, a couple of montje ago everything worked perfect, and as far as I knew there where now changes.

Jens_BE
Level 3
double post

Jens_BE
Level 3
The backup last night was succesful, I'll start a new backup in a minute, hopefully the update of the drivers did the trick.

Jens_BE
Level 3
Last days 4 out of 5 backups where succesful, which is way more then usual.
I'll keep monitoring it but I hope the update of the Tapedriver did the trick.