cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 SQL Backup Method - Automatic

Navar
Level 3

I have search the web looking for examples on using the SQL Backup Method Automatic.

It appear to be a solution for mixing Full and Simple recovery DBs in the same backup job.  The problem right now is when the DB admin creates a new DB it won't get backed up until they let me know to add it to the Full or Simple job.

Currently I have my full and simple split and this make is kinda challeging to attach a duplcation job that send full and simple backups to a single tape.  

Do i just treat Automatic as a hybrid Incremental/differental job?

Here is my thought on the process.

Create a singlre job that selects the top instance.  This way when the DBA adds a DB it will automaticlly be selected?

Then add a stage and select Automatic and a hourly schedule for example.

Is that about it???

1 REPLY 1

AndrewHarris
Level 3
Employee

Hi Navar,

Automatic is a method that is strictly used by Backup Exec for SQL Incremental Backups.

You are correct and you can look at it like this, the automatic method will handle both types of databases, databases configured with the Full Recovery model and databases configured with the Simple Recovery Model.

What will happen is that when the incremental method is used for the backups, if its a full recovery model database that is being protected, BE will run both a log backup and what we call a Block Level backup. Now, if the database protected is in simple recovery mode, then BE will run just the block level backup. These block level backups can be used to recover databases configured for both Full and simple recovery models.

Now, these block level backups that are performed only work if the Microsoft VSS provider option is selected from the AOFO page. If not, then BE will default back to Microsoft VDI Interface that is provided for SQL for use with third party apps. With that being the case, I do believe you will see a differential backup being performed when the automatic method is selected for databases configured with the simple recovery model.

With all this said, there should be no reason to separate your backups because of how your databases are configured, in full or simple recovery modes.

The first job you configure should have the Full and Automatic method, as well as the differential method if so desired. You should ensure that VSS is selected and probably target some disk device. A stage job (duplicate) would then be added that will duplicate all sets to tape.

Yes, you are correct for the SQL selections in the primary jobs, you would select at the instance level so that anytime a new database is added, it will be included in the overall backup strategy.

One thing to note is that if a database is added and a full database backup has not been perormed yet prior to the incremental (automatic) being run, then what will happen when the automatic backup runs is that instead of running an incremental backup, BE will automatically run a Full backup of the newly added database. On the next run the automatic method will be run.

I know this is a lot but I hope it helps

Andrew Harris